Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Helvellyn for first timers
  • Oxboy
    Free Member

Hi there,
    A few of us are to tackle Helvellyn this summer, what routes would you recommend for us virgins? Also any tips or dont forget to take . . . would be appreciated.
    Thanks

crazy-legs

Best way up (IMHO) is to go from Glenridding via Keppel Cove and the Lower Man summit then S to Helvellyn. Continue S then drop down Dollywagon Pike (VERY technical but mostly doable) to Grisedale tarn then turn L and head down the valley (Deepdale) back towards Patterdale.

Plenty of YH’s, B&B’s, pubs and campsites in Patterdale/Glenridding. Take spare clothing, waterproofs, map/compass/GPS, plus whatever spares/food etc you may need. It’s not a long ride but it will take a fair while and it’s VERY exposed up there. It’s not unknown for there to be 40mph winds and hail on the summit while tourists in Patterdale are walking round in T-shirts and shorts eating ice-cream. On the other hand, you get a nice day up there and the views are stunning.

SFB will probably have some other route suggestions too or you could have a look on http://www.bogtrotters.org

thefallguy
    Free Member

last summer we rode Helvellyn for the first time, from glenridding we headed north along the lake for a mile or two before turning left and up road to Dockray, this gets some of the climb out of the way on easy roads. Left again and up onto matterdale common – it should have been an easy ascent but it was boggy and whilst some rode it for others it was a walk up to great dodd. from here its all good with a series of decents and climbs (watsons dodd, stybarrow, raise, lower man, helvellyn, nethermost pike) all rock and lots of fun. Unlike crazy legs I found the last decent off dollywagon pike a disappointment – the recent trail repairs have left a path that is a series of steep rock steps with deep and wide drainage channels every 10 metres – once I had bottled one I found it hard to get going again, I daresay I’m a lightweight and should/could have ridden it, but I ended up walking a large portion of this before it flattens out. Next time we will probably drop down keppel cove, but it depends on your groups ability as to your choice.

ride took us about 4 hours with plenty of stops, I’d advise to take an extra layer as it was much colder on the tops than in patterdale, have fun

Oxboy
    Free Member

Thanks for your help chaps, big discussions will be had over a pint or three until the big trip! Will let you know what route we decide on.

thefallguy
    Free Member

have a search on youtube for “helvellyn mbr” to see danny milner cycling down dollywagon pike to give you an idea – although it seems steeper than the video suggests!

djglover
    Free Member

dollywagon drainage ditches spoilt it a bit, I’d ride down a different way

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Helvellyn for first timers’ is closed to new replies.