• This topic has 14 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by dbUK.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Helston Cornwall
  • dbUK
    Free Member

Hello

Off to Helston @ the weekend for a week & taking the bike, could anyone suggest any trails for us to ride..!

Cheers Dave

julianwilson
    Free Member

mbr did a route a few years ago that incoporated a very small bit of legal coastal path near Helston/Lizard, might be worth looking that up.

Also have a look for cornwall mtb clubs on facebook and ask for advice, very little in the way of bridleways but I hear there is lots of cheeky stuff if you know where. Loads of slightly less cheeky riding nearer falmouth and poldice valley if you fancy a (40 minute from Helston) drive but as ever, its always best to get a local to show you round. Mrs julian did this last summer and said it was ace.

stevede
    Free Member

If your intent on staying local the area doesn’t have a great deal to offer in the way of legal trails unfortunately, as a resident of Helston my car is as much a part of my riding kit as my gloves and helmet are!
    Locally my riding consists of the singletrack around Loe bar/degibna/lower pentire followed by some good singletrack on the national trust coastal paths out towards The Lizard, i usually go as far as Mullion Cove and head back the same way after a breather,it’s quite a different ride heading back so don’t have a problem backtracking the same route. The trails are illegal and i tend to stick to really early rides this time of year as the routes are very popular with ramblers and it becomes tedious for both parties quite quickly if you hit traffic.
    If your happy with driving then 30 mins up the road towards Truro is Poldice Valley, park at the Bissoe bike cafe and ask directions to the Poldice trails, here you’ll find bits from dh jumpy trails to a few fast flowy trails, also around this area is Unity woods just off to the side of the Bissoe to Portreath trail and not too far away is Carn Brae which has some nice natural rocky runs.
    CFR is a group on facebook which may be of some help to you, run by some friends of mine, one of which runs a weekly night ride on a Tues if your down for the week.
    I don’t think i’m able to ride the weekend or i’d be happy to show you around.

nicolaisam
    Free Member

As above,I live about 7.5 miles from Helston,and have never really found any riding down there,As Stevede mentions,there much better riding closer to Redruth and poldice valley.

Will probably be able to give you a guided ride around the Redruth,Carn brea,Carn marth and Poldice area at the weekend.

My email is in my profile if interested

timber

Used to ride: Cober valley down from Lowertown, Degibna woods around Loe Pool, some cheeky through the woods above the Penrose estate road, more cheeky coastpath from Rinsey to angry people at Prussia, Tregonning Hill, Godolphin Hill, but that is all drifting out of town more towards the area I grew up. Nancegollan MX track used to be good, some more on the mine workings around Wheal Vor.

Basically, cheeky.

And two up racing down the steps from the bowling green to the old cattle market.

Reluctant
    Free Member

Don’t forget to visit The Blue Anchor for a pint! 😀

orena45

Slight hijack (sorry OP) – I live nearish to Helston (near Praze) and could do with hooking up with some folk for some informal local rides at the weekends as I’m getting bored of riding on my own lately!

Anyone fancy meeting up? Email is in profile if anyone wants to sort something 🙂

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

They still selling ‘Spingo’?

I went to school there, spingo was a killer brew tasted bloody awful if I remember rightly. Such were they 70’s seems like only yesterday.

nath
    Free Member

There’s a nice little loop that starts in Gweek, which is pretty close to Helston.

7 or 8 miles with some fast singletrack (if it’s dry) a bit of stream bed riding, fast open track and swooping trough some woods. All bridleways with roads linking the off road sections. I can send a gps route over if you fancy.

stevede
    Free Member

nath – i’ve never ridden out Gweek way, any chance you could email me the gps route so i can give it a shot at some point?

orena45 – i’m away with work too much at the minute to be riding locally regularly, should change towards the end of summer but if your looking for some new trails and people to ride in then the CFR tues night ride takes place every tues from Lanner 6:30/7:00pm and alternate between easier and harder routes to allow more people to participate. Have a ganders on facebook, they are (mostly) a good bunch.
    Cheers,
    Steve

nath
    Free Member

Yep no trouble Steve have mailed it over.
    I second checking CFR group of facebook – Great bunch!

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

decent riding down my way in the far west (penzance down) especially up on the moors, helps though if you know where to look.

like has been said, most of what is good is’nt on a map or if it is its a footpath.

have ridden a few times in the last month around st.hilary, st.erth, godolphin type area. lots out there.

orena45

Yeah I’m on the CFR FB group – would love to tag along with their weekly evening ride but having a 16 month old daughter means I need to be home to put her to bed. Likewise, it’s difficult for me to commit to regular weekend rides with them or Cornwall MTB or the Trailriders due to family commitments so just looking for some folks to hook up with for the odd ride every now an again.

kaysee

nath – could you send me the GPS route as well? Not far from there, but only really pass through on the road bike…

dbUK
    Free Member

Thank You for the tips, hope to sort something out!!

Cheers Dave

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Helston Cornwall’ is closed to new replies.