Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Helsinki for 6 hours……..must do/visit/see recommendations please
  • SiB
    Free Member

SOH and myself have found ourselves with 6 hours in Helsinki this coming Monday morning, any recommendations as to what to do/see/visit in this time greatly appreciated, thanks.

…….or would it be better to stay in the wilderness of Finland until Monday morning and drive direct to Helsinki airport on he Monday instead of the hotel we’ve booked in Helsinki for the sunday night?

mmannerr

It takes about 30-40 minutes from city center to Airport and it is middle of winter holiday season.
    That said, the city center is quite small so you can see most things at least briefly. If you had more time I’d recommend Suomenlinna sea fortress but it takes few hours and ferry might be late.
    I’m almost local so it if you have anything in mind just ask.

petec
    Free Member

i love helsinki. Superb place.

that is all.

jonnyrobertson

^^ What petec said. ^^

That is all, also.

SiB
    Free Member

Thanks PeteC, I hope I can say the same by this time next week, some useful info there!!

mmannerr…..I haven’t got anywhere in mind as haven’t researched yet as all a bit last minute. We are actually staying in Savonlinna in the heart of the Saimaa lake area Friday evening to sunday morning (only one full day) then travelling to Helsinki sunday morning (300KM I believe)to get plane back to England Monday afternoon. What we’re now wondering is do we stay and enjoy the wilderness a bit longer in Savonlinna and leave for Helsinki on Monday on day of flight or get to Helsinki on sunday and have a rushed 6 hours in Helsinki sight seeing Monday morning before flight….??

dickyhepburn
    Free Member

Great Aussie bar there

mmannerr

Well, either option would be good IMO. I don’t think there is single must-see attraction like Eiffel Tower but loads of smaller ones and generally it is nice place to wander around and enjoy a cafe or couple of beers.

SiB
    Free Member

Thanks again mmannerr, in that case I think its going to be a case of see how much we’re enjoying the snowy wilderness and make a decision sunday morning. Café and a few beers sound good though……..if I wasn’t driving when we get back to Manchester airport!

Pigface
    Free Member

Go to the silent church for 10 minutes. About 5 minutes from Central Station

jonnyrobertson

^^ oooh I never saw that place when I was over ^^ The Church In The Rock was an interesting place though. Another thing that got me (although the same was true of the rest of Finland) was just the sheer amount of random bedrock poking out hither and thither. I reckon for six hours just get strolling and looking. The Regatta cafe by the waterside near to The Sibelious monument was a nice place to be but this was in the height of summer…

Sidney
    Free Member

If I was enjoying the wilderness I would stay until last minute. You could always plan a city break in the summer when Helsinki wakes up. Soumenlinna would be much better then.

Let us know how Savonlinna is in winter – I’ve been camping in summer and loved it. The campsite pitches were all these little clearings in the trees, perfect!

Pigface
    Free Member

I was over on Savonlinna about a month ago, was brutally cold but a lovely place to wander around on, the church uses canons as fence posts.

petec
    Free Member

sorry – been a while since we’ve been over, but the wife lived there for 2 years. Soumenlinna in the summer was amazing. And going to a wedding in the vanhakirkko, with reception on one of the inlets was the best wedding ever.

Seeing all the locals cleaning rugs down at the harbour when the place wakes up in spring, or participating in the sauna to harbour invigorating experience in winter (ice kept away by a small electric cable in the water). Going to Leningrad Cowboy bar till 4 in the morning, and coming out and it’s brighter than summer here. So many happy times.

spent an awful lot of time here – lunchtimes, and especially evenings.

Probably all changed now.

mmannerr

^Nothing is changed, no worries:)
    There is actually new sauna and swimming pool in sea right in the center where the ferries from Sweden arrive.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Helsinki for 6 hours……..must do/visit/see recommendations please’ is closed to new replies.