Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Helsinki, anyone been?
  • yoshimi

Heading there on Thursday morning for 3 days/nights. Got a return ferry booked to Tallinn on the Friday. Planning on going to the sea fort on the Sunday so only one full day in Helsinki. Any recommendations of things not to miss? Anyone care to recommend places to eat / drink / listen to live music etc?

Thanks

molgrips
    Free Member

Yep, lived there for 14 months.

Didn’t spend much time eating and drinking out though. Mostly in the woods. Cities and towns in Finland are an abberation really, just clearings in the forest. If you have a car get yourself out to Nuuksio national park, and go for a walk. Find a lake, sit by it, make a fire in the hut, grill some sausages and drink some beer by the lake as the sun sets.

vickypea
    Free Member

I had a couple of days in Helsinki after a week in Lapland. I went to the museum of design in Helsinki which was quite interesting, and also visited an island nearby via a small boat (forgotten the name). Went to a Lappish restaurant and had reindeer with lingon berries.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    hh45
    Free Member

We went to Tallin for 3 days and had a day trip to Helsinki! I recall it being very clean and nice and not too big. Expensive beer. all cliches I know but thats how it was. we went to an art gallery near the port that was quite nice.

Tallin was all about the drinking really but also a v good modern museum covering the last 75 years – v interesting if you Estonian history is weak like mine. That country has had a tough time! Is only small museum but good pictures and well worth 15 minute walk from old town.

boxfish
    Free Member

Hut by a lake in the forest. Beers in the sauna, run down the jetty and swim naked in the cooling water under the Milky Way. Catch fish for your barbecue supper.

What a holiday that was.

Helsinki was a bit meh. Finland however is bloody gorgeous.

andybach
    Free Member

Design Museum is good
    Best coffee shop is. Johann and Nystrom by the red church on the edge of the harbour – the best coffee I have ever tasted and the cakes are tremendous

For some good beer and burgers go to Stones near the main railway station – the organic beef burgers cooked rare are excellent.

Round the main harbour and the Esplanade is nice –

I used to spend a week a month there for about 3 years until recently – I don’t miss the place that much – but it is v clean, safe but a little dull.

vickypea
    Free Member

We went in the market and had borscht (beetroot soup) in a tiny cafe. Highly recommended!

yoshimi

Well just returned and had a very enjoyable time. I think a few days is enough and it was nice to visit Tallinn again after my last trip there nearly 8 years ago.

Ate at a place called Shanghai Cowboy which was very good, sort of upmarket Mexican food. Was going to try Stones but was rammed the night we called in.

Also took the ferry over to Suomenlinna Island, had coffee at the market, went to the Olympic Stadium (including going up the tower) and a bit of shopping.

Pigface
    Free Member

I love Finland and Helsinki is fab, glad you enjoyed yourself.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Helsinki, anyone been?’ is closed to new replies.