Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Help….Removing a Race Crown
  • nwill1
    Free Member

Need to remove a race crown from a set of Fox 36 and want to do it with minimal damage/marks, is there any special tools, tips or techniques other than a flat head screw driver & a hammer??

PS its quite tight.

Speshpaul

You’re LBS should do it for cake.
    otherwise clean it up, let it soak in gt85, use a drift or a chisel hold the steerer in a vice or work mate.

4ags4
    Free Member

Large flathead screwdriver, small hammer, gentle touch – work round gradually – job done

HermanShake
    Free Member

Chisel flat side to the fork, not screwdriver and gradually tap your way around. After you remove it, cut a slot in the next crown race you need to use and it will be a doddle to fit and remove.

You can get proper tools, but the LBS will be cheaper than buying the tool. Have a cautious go first, it just needs to be freed slightly and it will release.

druidh
    Free Member

A broad screwdriver will do it. The fork crown will likely have a little notch where the screwdriver can be inserted to give you a start. Just go very, very easy – don’t be greedy and try to lever it off too quickly or you’ll mark the fork crown. Just work your way round moving it a tiny bit at a time.

nwill1
    Free Member

Anybody else recommend the use of gt85/wd40 to help shift it?

druidh
    Free Member

I’ve never needed to

onandon
    Free Member

Get it started by banging in a Stanley blade to get it going then add a flat blade screwdriver to finnish.

nwill1
    Free Member

Cheers, on and on sounds like a plan.

Wally

As on and on said, First Stanley blade with hammer and then progressively thicker screw drivers. Works for me with no marks. The Stanley start is the key.

wwaswas

wot on and wal sed

nwill1
    Free Member

Just want to say cheers & for those in the same position I can confirm the Stanley blade trick works a treat! 😀

Wally

Next, you will be using waste pipe (white) to install crown races and becoming a proper bodger.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Help….Removing a Race Crown’ is closed to new replies.