Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)
  • Help/opinions on cockpit setup
  • jayx2a
    Free Member

So don’t feel 100% right on my bike right now. I was riding the HT pictured for a while and found it pretty comfortable ****pit wise over long rides.

With the FS I am not quite feeling it – sometimes I feel like I’m putting more pressure on my wrists than I should.

I have put the saddle in its climbing/sitting position.

The clothes do not help get a good idea and the fact I’m a bit tubs either! I’m thinking of trying some bars with a higher rise? These ones are 740mm with 5mm rise and 70mm stem.

Frame wise is 19.5 and the saddle is pretty much central. Is it just a case of trying new bits, moving things around and seeing what feels better?

[url=https://flic.kr/p/VpRmLK]20170602_182121[/url] by Justin Akehurst, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/VakwN9]20170602_182126[/url] by Justin Akehurst, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/UPB43A]20170602_182148[/url] by Justin Akehurst, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/VmikZ7]20170602_182152[/url] by Justin Akehurst, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/Vddfyv]Untitled-1[/url] by Justin Akehurst, on Flickr

garage-dweller

Saddle is very nose down. This will cause you to slide forward and cause you to push back with your arms – adding to arm pressure.

The bike should sag reasonably equally at both ends so I’d start trying to get the saddle level sat on the bike in the sagged position.

Have you checked shock pressures/settings front and back to get sag even with whatever’s right for the bike? It looks a bit ‘pooping dog’ with you sat on it (i.e. too much rear sag).

Was the FS comfy before?

Have you also tried a plumb line or two and measuring some key distances? Ones I’ve used before for rough setting up include:
    [*]Saddle nose to end of bar[/*]
    [*]Centre of saddle or saddle nose down to BB centre[/*]
    [*]Plumb line nose of saddle – measure horizontal to middle of BB[/*]

carlos
    Free Member

Looks too small for you imo. (But could be the pics)

Can’t tell from the pics but is there a spacer above the stem that you can put under it to lift the bars a touch. That and the advice above from GD would be a start

jayx2a
    Free Member

Rear needs a bit more pressure for my weight if I go through the Trek recommended settings. I did try the 20.5 but it felt huge! Will straighten the saddle a bit and go from there. My HT was defiantly higher bar wise. Wanted some new bars anyway so might try some cheap funn ones with a bit more rise.

You are right though, I do look massive on the bike… think it’s the pics and clothing lol.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

‘Cockpit layout’ is this…

I think you mean ‘riding position’ Not that there’s any difference of course. 😛

nickc

thanks for the giant picture…

OP: your saddle is too nose down, move it level, and there will be less weight on your hands

oldnpastit

I like the blue and yellow.

jekkyl

My first thought was is the bike too small too. The handlebars do look like they should be higher, not rise just in a higher position.

jayx2a
    Free Member

It’s 19.5 which is meant to be up to 6ft 2. Maybe if I was less weighty it would give a better idea of fit!

I have 1 spacer above the bars so could try going up.

onandon
    Free Member

Looks a size too small. Seat needs to be level -+ a tad and the saddle needs to go up a bit so the leg is nearly locked but not quite at the bottom of the stroke.

Once that is set I think you may need to slide the saddle back a bit to you’re over the pedal .

burko73

Does the stem look flipped down? If so maybe flip it up?

jayx2a
    Free Member

I sat on the 20.5 and it felt a bit big. The guy in the shop said I would be on on the size down too :-/ will move a few bits here and there and see how I get on.

If the saddle goes up a bit more, even with the spacer my bars might be too low!

Time to exchange the bike!!! Lol

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Bike too small IMO.

Longer bike, shorter stem, higher bars.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Even the trailer can’t believe you bought a bike that small (third pic)

jayx2a
    Free Member

Was recommended size from the shop! I’m only 5ft 11 and the next size up was down for 6ft 2+.

If it’s too small it’s too small I guess, nothing much I can do about that apart from sell it on!

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

thanks for the giant picture..

No probs, any time. *bows*

At least it is a giant photo of a cockpit. 😀

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Pics are slightly rear on, so perspective might be exaggerating shortness

jayx2a
    Free Member

So did a few adjustments. Saddle now level (quite tricky to get level to the eye due to wale tale and drop nose!).

Saddle height now adjusted. Bars are near enough 6mm lower.

I did the elbow on edge of saddle to stem and my fingers just reached the stem (no idea I this is a true measurement or not!!).

Someone mentioned flipping the stem, but as far as I can see its straight so would be no different?!

Anyway, todays pics to bore you with! So still thinking bike is too small? Please imagine me like 3 stone lighter haha!

[url=https://flic.kr/p/U9TYqJ]trek1[/url] by Justin Akehurst, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/VeTjLV]trek2[/url] by Justin Akehurst, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/VnVWnC]trek3[/url] by Justin Akehurst, on Flickr

renton
    Free Member

I had the same problem with a 2016 giant trance where there was such a drop from saddle to bar I found that I was putting to much weight on my hands and wrists.

I bought the size that giant recommend but in hindsight I should of got the next size up.

Your saddle does look slightly high as in the last lot of pics your leg looks to straight.

What size is the bike and what size is the hardtail.

jayx2a
    Free Member

Trek is 19.5 and HT Saracen was 19. Might have adjusted saddle just a tad too high.

The 20.5 Trek was pretty big.

carlos
    Free Member

Sorry, but still looks too small IMO.

Put that headset spacer under the stem, that’ll raise the front a tiny bit but still a very arse up, head down position

superstu
    Free Member

I think it looks too small. Even if you raise the front you’ll be a bit “happy shopper” but then I prefer long bikes so horses for courses. You could take the spacer above the stem and put it under and it’d raise the bars 5mm which may help.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I’m no actual expert even tough I’ve been riding for ‘a while’ but, that bike is FAR too small! You look like a monkey on a mangle.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Are you 100% sure that that bike is a 19.5 because at 5ft 11 it should be a good fit and that looks too small and you are at the smaller end of the fitting recommendations that Trek has for this frame .

jayx2a
    Free Member

Well it’s A19.5 V18.5 but yes according to Trek I should be fitting it just fine. Might measure it just in case it’s badged up wrong!

tehtehtehteh
    Free Member

I’m 6′ 4″ and used to ride an 18″ GT, and it looked a better fit than your bike does in the pictures, somethings not right there

fifeandy
    Free Member

+1 for the looks to small club.
    Agree with @Ramsey, i’d be getting it checked to make sure it is indeed the right size.
    Using that extra spacer combined with a longer stem might get you closer.

Saddle definitely too high in latest pic. I’d have moved it a fraction back not up based on first pics

jayx2a
    Free Member

What annoys me the most is my naivety/stupidity.

I spent a long time saving up for my first full suss and when I bought this bike they said I would be either this size or the size down!

My bike knowledge is not great, I go more on reviews and forums to get me by and learn as I go and the guys in the shop said that this bike would be a perfect fit so I rolled with it. They didn’t even really set it up for me, just asked my weight and told me rear and front shocks were done to match me and off I went.

Soon as I got on it at home the rear sagged like a bastard. It was at like 150psi and if you run my weight through the Trek figures it should be at least 240psi.

I know I should have asked to be properly fitted, but to be honest I thought they knew what they were doing and set it up accordingly. Especially being a Trek dealer.

Even if it turns out to be the right size, it is clearly too small for me. I should have come here sooner as I’m not going to get much back for it now. Expensive mistake to make!

Just for reference I have found this pic (same size as mine)

https://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NjgzWDEwMjQ=/z/NjsAAOSwMN9XQsTu/$_86.JPG

hols2
    Free Member

I think it’s the pics and clothing

Do you have any pics without the clothing?

If it were me, I’d try getting the bars a couple of inches higher with a stem with more rise and/or with riser bars.

renton
    Free Member

Surely that virtual and actual sizes should be the other way round i.e

A 18.5 v 19.5 like every other trek

nickc

I personally don’t think the bike is too small for you. The seatpost isn’t overly extended, and the reach looks OK. I think (apologies) your bulk makes it look like you’re too big, but bikes are about how tall you are and how long your limbs are.

My advice would be get your saddle level (buy a spirit level or use an app on your phone) and luckily you’ve enough spacers around the stem to get the bars at a height that’s comfy, experiment, and change the bars and saddle if you have to.

belugabob
    Free Member

The guy in the shop said I would be on on the size down too

If it is too small – which seems to be the general opinion – then the shop should change it.
    If this turns out to be impossible, then move the top spacer under the stem, get a riser stem and riser bars.

This whole thing is a bit of a minefield, TBH, and it’s much more complicated than just how tall you are – I am 6ft tall, but have 29inch inside leg and gibbon arms, so have to be very careful when sizing a bike (even more so, when buying a frame to build up, as you can’t always sit on a complete bike, in those circumstances)

Hope you get it sorted

jayx2a
    Free Member

My current bulk is not helping the pics, neither are the baggy clothes! Will take another pic in my riding gear after I have made a few tweaks.

Attempt to get the saddle level is interesting! Together with a whale tail, drop nose and centre grove, getting it level to the eye makes my brain hurt!! But it’s my favourite most comfortable saddle so will pursue!!

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

i dont think its too small, certainly rideable. whatever happens OP , the dork disc has got to go

alwillis

Right size bike IMO.

Saddle needs to be level (the bit you are actually say in not just a spirit level front to back) iPhones are good for this as you can seat it where your bum goes!

Saddle also needs to go back up to a cm (a guess based on pics above) to move your weight back a little- taking weight off the hands and wrists. I wouldn’t raise the saddle anymore than you have done.

Once saddle is sorted then bars can be moved to preference, probably with all spacers under the stem from the looks of things- unless you do a lot of yoga in your spare time?

Edit- dork disc removal +1

superstu
    Free Member

It Is rideable and agree the leg extension is ok, but looks cramped up front.

leffeboy

The sizing looking small does look like an optical illusion caused by the baggy trousers and the fact that the seat tube bends backwards. The ‘eye’ line of the seat tube from the bottom makes it look like you are sitting off the back of the saddle when clearly you aren’t because the rest of the seat tube is hidden

Naked pics is the only way 🙂

For some reason top tubes seem a bit short at the moment as well. Maybe it’s a style thing

onandon
    Free Member

I think it would help if you had your crank at the 3/9 oclock position while seated too.

chiefgrooveguru

Your saddle looks too high – leg too straight but foot still pointed. Saddle tilted too far forwards too. The suspension is sagging too much so that’ll affect the set-up – the fork shouldn’t be compressed that far when you’re sitting. Fork sag should be set when standing with weight wholly through the cranks (about 20%) shock is usually best as an average of standing and seated sag (about 25%).

Watch your posture, you’ll knacker your back if you let it round like that!

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

Try this: seat post 1cm lower, saddle 1 cm back, stem at top of steerer (all spacers underneath).

I reckon I look just the same on my bike though…..

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘Help/opinions on cockpit setup’ is closed to new replies.