Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Helping toddler get over "the fear" (bad fall from balance bike)
  • deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Well, when I say “bad”, I mean bad for him and first ever one at “speed”.

We take him to our local pump track and let him go round on his balance bike. A few weeks ago, because he was getting quite handy at it, I put a bit more air in the tyres to give him more of a chance of making the first two berms without having to put his feet down too many times. (The track slopes from top to bottom so if there’s enough momentum, a kid on a BB will make it to the second berm before needing feet/a push. It worked! 😀 He shot round a few times and was loving it. Then he had a bad fall as a result of a wobble at the second “bump” – over the bars, gravel, bleeding from both lips, grazes, cuts etc. All in all, pretty upset.

Thing is, now he doesn’t want to go on the track any more. We ask him if he wants to take his bike to the park. “YES YES YES.” “And maybe have a go at the pump track to show mummy and daddy how brilliant you are at it?” “Ummmm…no I don’t want to go on the bike track…” “Why?” “Because I falled over.” 🙁 Here I was thinking he’d forget about it, but apparently not.

Any tips? Have tried getting him to TTFU (gently) and he’s gone round once or twice…funnily enough when somebody other than his mum or dad encourages him…don’t want to be that guy forcing him to do something when he doesn’t want to or worse, falls again because he’s nervous.

Maybe time to get him to learn to pedal and hope he fancies the track again when he’s learned that?

EDIT: He’s getting on for three and a half.

Stoner
    Free Member

competition.

find another toddler with a BB who’s willing to go round.

Then tease and taunt Bravissinimus till his self respect is in tatters and he has to go and defend his honour on the race track of death.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Ok…I’ll try that today. 🙂

Drac

Push him down a big hill?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Push him down a big hill?

Doesn’t seem to have a problem going down a slope or picking up a bit of speed…it’s just the track really.

edenvalleyboy
    Free Member

How would you get back on the bike after a fall? Back to the terrain that made you fall off, or gain confidence on easier terrain and wait till you feel more confident to go back to the trickier stuff?

No rush is there?

joshvegas
    Free Member

“Its easy son, watch this…”

Do toddlers know 999?

kayla1
    Free Member

😆 ^^

“Pffft. I’ll show you how- here, hold my beer…”

Dunno really. Just let him get back on at his own pace, there’s no need to force it. Take him to the park on his bike and if he fancies a roll around the track, let him have a roll around the track. Do you go round it as well? Might be the ideal opportunity for an n+1 BMX… 😀

We were at the new pump track in Northumberland Park in Tynemouth yesterday, it’s ace but bloody hard work! Should’ve been on my HT though, my FS sucked the fun right out of it.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Might be the ideal opportunity for an n+1 BMX…

Don’t tempt me… 🙂

(I’d kill myself on there.)

kayla1
    Free Member

Ah, the old excuse… 😉

“I’d kill meself on one of those things.” (motorcycle, BMX, roller skates…)

Meh. Get a cheap BMX, show the lad that it’s ok to fall over now and again and have a laugh at yourselves 😀

edit- you could even take the cranks and BB off and use it as a balance bike yourself 😆

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Competition or bribery. They can have a sweet etc

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Competition or bribery.

That is the plan for the weekend.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Rule 5

One of those the “big” crashes always have this impact

MY advice reassure him that injuries and spectacular crashes go with the sport, show him your collection of scars and mishaps and remind him they will only get worse as he gets better, faster and braver.*

In all seriousness he will either get over this – my youngest worst took a year and he is still not as confident as before it but will now ride most stuff he did before – or just ride other stuff where you wont hurt him
    Is there nothing easier to help him build his confidence?
    Baby steps – literally and all that.

* I do actually say this to my kids but in a far more diplomatic manner the reality is , unless you are not really trying, that you will crash your bike every now and again. Its inevitable.

Drac

Competition or bribery. They can have a sweet etc

By sweet you mean pudding?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Raisins. And one other kid who was awesome on his BMX. First time round without a push on the lower section.
    [video]http://youtu.be/CYylqhZ2aXA[/video]

v8ninety

+1 to junkyards post; they’ll get back into it, because let’s face it, it’s fun! DON’T for heavens sake suck the fun out of it by forcing the issue. One extra piece of advice I can offer (which may or not be useful, but it works for the miniVees) is not to refer to the cuts and bruises as ‘poorlies’ or ‘ouchies’ such is the habit of many parents. They are ‘tough marks’ in my family, and are to be worn like badges of honour and shown off to friends and family at every opportunity. This approach rapidly takes the sting out of all but the worst mishap, as they visualise showing Nan and Grandad their newest badges of honour…

For reference, the miniVees are four and five, and now fly around pump tracks on their pedal bikes at really quite gobsmacking speed for such little’uns. They both started on balance bikes a couple of years ago, and have both had some fairly spectacular offs!

Edit; great vid! He’ll be pedalling soon 8) I HATE those little ‘almost tankslapper’ wobbles that they have, proper heart in the mouth moments sometimes

kayla1
    Free Member

That pump track looks mint!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Helping toddler get over "the fear" (bad fall from balance bike)’ is closed to new replies.