Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • helping someone on my street-just given a xtr rear mech away
  • hora
    Free Member

Old Giant hardtail. Neighbours down my street knocked and asked if I could help fit a new chain…sure. So whilst fitting I noticed the gears could do with indexing… Then noticed the rear mech (huge thing) was slack….it fell apart in my hands. Its getting cold so in a dilemma I went to my spares bin and found an almost new xtr rear mech (08?).

Yes the indexing is actuation is a tad out however it works.

Jesus I hated its rapid rise and was going to keep it as a spare but its worth more than the bike (that tickles me!).

Moral? Never help out on a really old bike/design that your not familiar with!!!!!!

DickBarton

Very good job there…although if I’d known you had an XTR in RR+ I’d have chapped your door myself!!! 😉

uwe-r
    Free Member

I would get the cheapest option on ebay and then go and offer a ‘better one’. Everyone would be happy.

Mister-P
    Free Member

That is some karma in the bank, good work. Or if you are a little more cynical that freebie could bring them back for more work you could charge them for in future.

highclimber
    Free Member

I have an XT RR mech if you want it Dick?

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Hora/Mark, think of it as payback for all the messing you did in the early days, if you send me some of your spare XTR stuff I may forgive you 😉

hora
    Free Member

Anyone got a m952 rear one going?

slowrider
    Free Member

I wouldn’t let you near one of my bikes!

DickBarton

I was joking but now it’s been mentioned…how much? Out of curiousity…the XT medium cage RR+ I have is working a charm but XTR does look more bling!

hora
    Free Member

Well looking at CRC order from 09 it cost me 59.99.

Interestingly there’s a duplicate order on there/my history which needs investigating as I only received one order.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

why did RR not take on, it’s loads betterer than er….normal rise.

DickBarton

I agree…far better…makes more sense to have the mechanical advantage shifting the chain to the larger sprocket which requires more effort anyway…

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

I’d rather be able to block shift multiple gears in one go into a lower ratio after say rounding a corner to find a steep climb than be able to block shift into a higher gear where gravity is on my side and I won’t lose momentum by shifting a gear at a time. I assume 99% of mtbers agree which is good for those of you that like it as you can pick it up cheap.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘helping someone on my street-just given a xtr rear mech away’ is closed to new replies.