Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 107 total)
  • helping a neigbour
  • andybrad

Ok gents

So last night I got woken by my neighbour last night banging on my door. Not ion a good way. A single lady in her late 30’s asking for help as there was water everywhere. Pop round with my tools and found the house to be under several inches of very hot water in almost every room. It turns out that a plastic pipe to the hot water tap upstairs and fed by a combi boiler (ive never had one of these) has broken and was like a very hot fountain of water upstairs for several days.

In my eyes its basically screwed the entire house. Theres nothing left on the walls in the kitchen and theres no downstairs ceiling. Needless to say everything is wet and I had to kick her back door just to get it to open. The paint has even stripped off some of the downstairs doors! Shes brought some stuff to ours but as I don’t know the lady that well I spent all of last night sat up as I had the little one at home. Im feeling as though I should help but also quite anxious that theres a stranger under our roof with my child.

So I told her to get intough with the insurance and it turns out that she doesn’t have any to try and save some money! Oh shucks!

Not sure what I should be doing in this situation, if anything?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I had to kick her back door

You might wanna try rephrasing that for a start!

orangespyderman

Is she good looking?

wwaswas

seems a little opportunistic.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Seems like an overly elaborate plan to seduce you.

IHN

Im feeling as though I should help but also quite anxious that theres a stranger under our roof with my child.

Oh behave.

lazlowoodbine
    Free Member

Help by encouraging her to sort herself out. Don’t start offering help per se as things can quickly get out of hand.

Most importantly, are your houses semi-detached?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Bugger all you can do really, (other than hope you don’t live in a semi detached)
    If she’s got a mortgage she’s in real trouble* though with no insurance as that’s a condition of the loan.

*I resisted the pun.

legend
    Free Member

Firstly, so much STW innuendo in there that I don’t even know where to begin!

Secondly, with any luck she’ll have family and friends to get in touch with. I wouldn’t imagine she wants to stay with you anymore than you want her there (althought wet neighbour, tools in hand and back door smashed in story says otherwise I suppose)

lazlowoodbine
    Free Member

You might wanna try rephrasing that for a start!

Damn I missed that!

footflaps

So I told her to get intough with the insurance and it turns out that she doesn’t have any to try and save some money! Oh shucks!

Holy shit, that was some saving. She’s now homeless.

perchypanther
    Free Member

wet neighbour, tools in hand and back door smashed in

Fnarrrr

wwaswas

Realistically, you’ve done all you can be expected to other than maybe holding a key to let people in if they want to work on the place.

martinhutch

Make sure she doesn’t sponge off you for too long.

johndoh
    Free Member

Well the situation for the woman is going to be a pretty tough one – that’s going to be a very expensive mistake for her to rectify.

But in answer to your OP question – you shouldn’t be doing anything other than offering a bit of help and advice. I certainly wouldn’t want a neighbour in my house under those circumstances.

jekkyl

Tell her to speak to her mortgage company, even though she doesn’t have any buildings cover the mortgage company might have some basic cover to at least rebuild the property.
    Having no buildings insurance is shocking, it’s dirt cheap for buildings alone so there’s no excuse.
    Also…. is she fit?

Gary_M
    Free Member

Bugger all you can do really

I think he already has.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

footflaps

Tell her to speak to her mortgage company, even though she doesn’t have any buildings cover the mortgage company might have some basic cover to at least rebuild the property.

Nope, they don’t cover it, but a term of the mortgage is that you do so.

Even if it has to be demolished she still has to pay off the mortgage.

It’s going to be a very expensive lesson for her.

I certainly wouldn’t want a neighbour in my house under those circumstances.

All depends on your neighbourhood, we get on pretty well with all our neighbours and having one stay wouldn’t be a concern. Although staying long term would be a PITA mainly as you loose privacy etc.

DezB
    Free Member

also quite anxious that theres a stranger under our roof with my child.

And not a very bright stranger by the sounds of it.

reformedfatty
    Free Member

With those powers of judgement id be getting rid of her from my house and avoiding any further contact.

If I was as deep in debt as she probably is now id think nothing of stealing anything not nailed down..

footflaps

And not a very bright stranger by the sounds of it.

Not an uncommon attitude, guy I used to work with had no house insurance either. I tried my best to persuade him it was worth £150 a year, but he’d have none of it….

binners

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wf0V68Prasg[/video]

Gary_M
    Free Member

If I was as deep in debt as she probably is now id think nothing of stealing anything not nailed down..

You sound nice.

wwaswas

If only the OP had some way of finding out where she lived.

jekkyl

Just reading some stuff here at work. (a bank) The cover I was referring to would likely just cover the bank’s loss, it probably wouldn’t extend to rebuilding the property.
    All might not be lost though, it’d have to be some water damage to make the property uninhabitable and completely devalued. Also sometimes the value of the land alone might be sufficient to cover the mortgage debt, depending on the mortgage level of course. She should ring the mortgage company first.
    Be interested to know how this pans out, please keep us updated.

lazlowoodbine
    Free Member

Is there even a mortgage?

Is there an ex partner, a disgruntled owner/part owner? I’ve know of funny things happen to property and possessions when divorce etc. is looming.

reformedfatty
    Free Member

Hey, what’s her worst case scenario? prison vs a swamp?

Unless I’m missing something her absolute best case is getting immediately put into a council house, declaring bankruptcy and starting over

DezB
    Free Member

If only the OP had some way of finding out where she lived.

Doubt anybody’s in.

khani
    Free Member

I feel conflicted reading such a tale of woe and giggling half way through.. 😳 but try to be kind, don’t be a mug..

kcal

she may be renting the property – in which case insurance absence would be for her contents, though building would be covered..

tjagain

reformed fatty – she won’t get a council house quickly. single person low priority.

As khani says – short term stay at yours , you help get the house dried out. thats about as far as I would go

andybrad

HN – Member

Oh behave.

go on, whats the issue?

While it does sound like im going for a full STW house here. (did i mention she was a single Muslim lady) im not.

But in all seriousness its knackered and she seemed to think that leaving the windows open today and it would be dry by the weekend. Shes clearly no idea or money. Which makes me worried that shes going to convince the wife to stay for longer than expected.

DezB
    Free Member

she may be renting the property – in which case insurance absence would be for her contents

Place I rented a few years back, part of the contract was you had to have contents insurance.

DezB
    Free Member

She has a wife? (sorry, someone had to)

andybrad

Sorry, this is bringing a smile to my face with some of the comments. It was very steamy in there i must admit.

Shes my wife 🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Your wife lives in another house? This is getting weirder.

wwaswas

Shes my wife

andybrad, earlier

andybrad

😀

Gary_M
    Free Member

Shes my wife

Oh this is so confusing.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 107 total)

The topic ‘helping a neigbour’ is closed to new replies.