Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Help/ideas needed: Easier Shifting (Arthritis content)
  • albino
    Free Member

Despite being in my 30s I've developed a type of arthritis which is controlled to a certain extent by meds. However the big problem I have on a bike is shifting gears on the front chainring. Where you would normally shift with your thumb I find that I'm increasingly having to use the heel of my hand, (which obviously isn't great when riding at speed) as I haven't got the strength in my thumb to shift into the bigger chainring(s). Shifting the other way is fine as it just clicks like the rear shifter.

I've currently got SRAM x7 shifters, and a Shimano Deore front derailleur.

Anyone know if there's a shifter/front derailleur system that would shift as easily as my rear setup? Hopefully I'l be able to get back to riding normally again. Any ideas?? Thanks

druidh
    Free Member

Before going any further, it's worth fitting new cables (inner and outer) as that can make a huge difference to the amount of pressure needed to change against the spring. I'd also say that higher end components (X9 or XTR) tend to have a lighter feel to them.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Twisties or friction lever mounted on the top of the bar?

I have the same ( to a lessor extent) issue and find twisties better

awh
    Free Member

Could you run full length outers? I can't believe how smoothly my bike with this set up still shifts!

albino
    Free Member

Thanks for the ideas so far…

In terms of inners & outers…the bike's only 8 months old and has shifted the same way since new so I'm not sure if that would make too much difference. For full length outers..do they make all that much difference as I've heard that they can sometimes make shifting more difficult?
    Twisties are out as I've got even less movement with my less wrist as it's the area worst affected by arthtitis. I've not seen friction levers mounted on top so I'll have alook into that.

Thanks again and keep the ideas coming please! 🙂

druidh
    Free Member

Fell length shifters tend to have more "drag" but stay cleaner longer.

Old-style bar-top shifters would probably work.

The other option is to ditch the current arrangement and go for a gear hub. All the shifting would them be with your right hand. The 11-speed Alfine would be great when it's available.

njee20
    Free Member

Grip Shift, better shifting, ability to trim the shifters. A friend of mine had arthritis in his left thumb, and was fine was Grip Shift.

bassspine
    Free Member

there used to be a twist-shift that worked front and rear mechs from one twisty on the right hand.

I can't remember what the manufacturer's name was, sorry.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Look at cheapo bikes for a friction shifter on top of the bar. towards you with fingers, away with the heel of your hand. I used to run a bike like that.
    This sort of thing.

midlifecrashes

Suntour Command Shifters, if you want to go retro. Friction front, 6 or 7 speed rear, but with friction mode too?

mboy
    Free Member

Few good recommendations made already. New (decent) cables, properly greased/lubed, will make a difference and is the cheapest option.

As njee20 says, gripshift is perhaps a good option. Assuming that your arthritis is only a problem whilst pushing something with your thumb that is, and you can still maintain a good gripping action between your thumb and forefinger, whilst twisting your wrist to shift…

Or go for some new Shimano (SLX or above IMO) trigger shifters. Personally I find the Shimano shifters have a much lighter action, particularly on the thumb lever, than SRAM shifters do. And the latest generation SLX, XT and XTR shifters seem a step up over anything previous from Shimano too. Fitted a set of SLX shifters to one of my bikes, and couldn't believe how light the shift action was compared to older LX and XT shifters even.

Or as has been said, you could go for an Alfine rear hub, which puts the single shifter on the right hand side of the bars. If you've got loads of cash to spare, you could even go for a Rohloff!

midlifecrashes

Oh, and more obviously someone should have talked about Shimano dual controls. You push the brake lever up and down to shift.

Onzadog
    Free Member

You don't mention any issue with your right hand so I'll assume you have more dexterity there.

In which case, I'd consider the current shifter to take care of the rear mech and look at some adaptors from Pauls Components to run a roadie shifter like a top mounted shifter but run it on the right. Might be a bit of a faff finding space but it could work.

Surprised no one has said single speed yet (not a sensible answer)

valleydaddy
    Free Member

as midlifecrashes says Shimano dual controls would be perfect for you.

I've used them and they are so simple to use, miss them on my Zesty for sure

albino
    Free Member

Thanks for all the info again everyone

I think the Shimano Dual controls are sounding like the best option in terms of the way I can move my wrist/fingers.
    S o just a couple of questions….

Is there a 2009/2010 bike that comes equipped with these so I can trial them?

Also, would the dual controls work with my existing cabling/brake hoses and mechs, or would that have to be replaced too?

Thanks again.

stevomcd
    Free Member

You'd need a new rear mech (as you've got X7 shifters, you must have a SRAM rear derailleur, which won't work with Shimano shifters).

If you have Shimano brakes, they may work with dual control. If not, you'll need new brakes.

qwerty
    Free Member

single speed, 1 x 9, or

adam1330
    Free Member

If you want dual control shifters, Chain Reaction are selling XT ones for £50, reduced from £200. Doesn't include the calipers or any brake hoses/fittings, but still a huge saving.

XT Dual Control

adam1330
    Free Member

Also, if you go dual control, then they are best used with a rapid rise rear mech.

albino
    Free Member

Right, some great ideas guys. I’ve had a liitle time to look into the Dual Controls and they are looking good from what I’ve read and video I’ve seen.
    Does anyone on here currently use them who could confirm that there’s no excessive strength needed to push up/pull down?

Anyway I was wondering whether I could run a DCL just on the left side/front mech (as this is the only hand I currently have problems with) and keep the SRAM X7/X9 for the rear? I’ve currently got a Deore front mech and guess that this would be compatible with any Shimano DCLs.

Then I’d also need, new gear cable to the front mech, new shimano front calliper, disc and brake hose/fluid. (Not sure if it would be possible to still use the existing disc from my Hayes Stroker brakes).

I was looking at the CRC deals (thanks adam1330). Could anyone advise if this list would fit the bill.

Shimano XTR M966 Post mount calliper & LH lever
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=7927

Shimano XTR Gear Cable
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=1597

Any recommendations for brake hose?

Thanks again – really appreciate the help. 🙂

alexpalacefan

I had EXACTLY the same problem from a Sram X5, I just can't push the thumbie to change onto a bigger ring hard enough.

I took 2 different options for 2 bikes. Went to Shimano for one, the mechs have the same cable pull so I just switched to a second-hand XT shifter. Job done.

For my 'good' bike i got an X0 grip shift, and it's fantastic, certainly a better solution, as there is no stress on the bad thumb at all. This is what I would recomend.

E-mail in profile if you wanna chat further,

Alex

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Help/ideas needed: Easier Shifting (Arthritis content)’ is closed to new replies.