Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Help/Advice for Upgrades.
  • mrmiyagi
    Free Member

Hi Guys, I have a Pinnacle Ramin 3, the specs of it are:

Frame:Pinnacle 6066-T6 triple butted aluminium alloy
    Fork: Rockshox XC32 TK29 100mm (80mm on S size), 15mm axle
    Front Derailleur: Shimano Deore FD-M616
    Rear Derailleur: Shimano Deore RD-M610
    Number of Gears: 20
    Shifters: Shimano Deore SL-M610-10
    Chainset: Shimano FC-M615
    Chainrings:38/24T
    Bottom Bracket: Shimano External
    Cassette: Shimano CS-HG62-10 11-36T
    Chain:KMC nickel finish
    Pedals: Wellgo Flat aluminium body
    Brakeset:Shimano BR-M505 Hydraulic Discs
    Brake Levers:Shimano BL-M505
    Handlebars: Pinnacle DB Aluminium flat-top bar, 5mm rise, 720mm width, 9 degree sweep
    Stem: Pinnacle SL MTB Ahead stem, 80mm
    Headset: FSA ZS-4 Semi-integrated for 44mm ID
    Grips: File pattern Kraton rubber w/single lock-on collar
    Rims: Alex MD-21 32H 21mm internal width
    Front Hub:
    Formula DC-51 6-bolt disc, 15mm thru-axle
    Rear Hub: Shimano FH-M475 6-bolt disc
    Spokes:Stainless PG
    Front Tyre: Continental X-King 2.2″
    Rear Tyre: Continental X-King 2.2″
    Saddle: Pinnacle Sport MTB men’s
    Seatpost: Pinnacle micro-adjust Aluminium
    Seat Binder: QR clamp
    Weight: 13.5kg

I was just wondering what would you upgrade first and what would you replace it with?

munkster
    Free Member

Wheels first, personally…
    …un/under-qualified to advise on MTB options however 😉

stevied
    Free Member

I would do wheels and forks 1st. Then just upgrade/change other bits as they wear out or you’ve got some cash to splash on things you want to change (bars, stem etc).
    If you’re looking to upgrade to save weight look at changing things things like bars/stem/seatpost after you’ve done the wheels.
    Depends on the use as to what to change things for.

munkster
    Free Member

ps – if you did upgrade the wheels you might want to consider holding onto the old stock wheels for the surely inevitable moment when you decide you want a new bike… Now, if only I took my own advice 😉

weeksy

upgrading stuff won’t make you better …. or quicker…. (really by much)…. so just spend it on fuel taking you to places where you can ride more 🙂

craigxxl
    Free Member

As above. Wheels first, controls (bars, stem and seatpost) to suit you then components as they wear out.

mrmiyagi
    Free Member

Thanks guys, I’ll look into some wheels. Going from being a student to having my first payslip I thought I might start looking into upgrades.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

upgrading stuff won’t make you better …. or quicker…. (really by much)…. so just spend it on fuel taking you to places where you can ride more

This is very good advice.

Personaly the wheels don’t sound too bad, not to say that an upgrade to Hope/Stans wouldn’t improve them, but I personaly found alex rims to be as good as anything else (and converted to tubeless really easily with some electrical tape and an old valve).

Looking at that spec the only thing that jumps out would be the fork. I’d save up for a SID or Reba, or speek to LOCO and see if the internals can’t be upgraded if the rest of it’s good (unlikley to be economic though, probably £250 on dampers and a £100 service, Vs selling them for about £80 and just buying new forks.

I presume you’ve swapped to SPD’s, if not, do it!

Stem and post might drop a smidge of weight and look bling, but won’t affect the ride too much.

Bars might drop 100g and be more comfortable, but are the old ones uncomfortable?

Drivetrain – wear it out and replace with SLX or XT and save a lot of weight.

Brakes – they’ll be fine, no point upgrading

Tyres – if worn, replace with whatever’s the best and most suitable, and tubeless! This would be my #1 thing to do.

Saddle – is it comfortable?

Basicaly, just run it into the ground over a few years, replace bits as they wear, a new fork and wheels with convertible hubs will be a good investment if you ever upgrade the frame to a full suspension frame (as long as it’s another ~100mm 29er). Spend the spare cash on nice shorts, jersey, shoes, helmets, gloves, grips, glasses, a really good breathable waterproof, chinese lights, etc, that stuff really makes a difference to whether you enjoy a ride or not, a 100g lighter seatpost won’t, but will cost more than a nice pair of bib shorts, and a better wheelset will make you a smidgen faster and the bike feel nicer, but will cost 2x more than even a very nice rain jacket, and a £250 jacket will let you ride all year round in comfort, rather than shivering/sweating but being on lighter wheels.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Help/Advice for Upgrades.’ is closed to new replies.