Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Help with wheels
  • rentachimp
    Free Member

I am thinking of getting these wheels, but I am not sure if they will fit my 2011 Ghost AMR. I have quick release skewers, not those fancy maxle thingies.
    Anybody able to give some guidance?

Northwind

Those are for a 20mm maxle fork, so won’t fit a QR forked bike. Also, they’re shit.

rentachimp
    Free Member

I have heard that they are shit, but also heard that they are awesome.

I also read somewhere that they come with a 9mm adapter, whatever that means.

mboy
    Free Member

What Northwind said, only a little more politely.

Those Crank Bros wheels are a Royal PITA, spares are just about non existent, and they don’t even perform all that well for the money (and I’m talking about their discounted price, not their original RRP). The looks are very Marmite too (I’m in the hate it camp, some love the look though)…

Just took delivery of my new wheels today, almost loathe to recommend Superstar given some people’s experiences, but got some Superstar Switch EVO hubs on Pacenti TL28’s for £160 (in the sale right now) which is a bargain. The hubs are (I think) rebranded Novatec, and have cartridge bearings and easily replaceable (and cheap) freehubs, so should last OK at least. The hubs are also totally adaptable for any axle standard.

Of course there’s also the option of Hope Pro’s on Stans rims for about £300, or to be honest, a whole host of other options. Personally I’d steer clear of the Crank Bros wheels.

rentachimp
    Free Member

Thanks, mboy. I currently run Alex SX 44 on Shimano XT, which are in a pretty bad state – both hubs need replacing.
    Not sure if I should repair or replace.

titusrider
    Free Member

http://www.justridingalong.com

whatever hubs you can afford on whatever stans rim suits your riding

all the wheel you will ever need

Kryton57

…and have cartridge bearings and easily replaceable (and cheap) freehubs, so should last OK at least…

I’ve heard several say thats not the case as SS use cheap bearings, but even so at £160 and with some new bearings from Kasae at approx £20 its still worth it.

johnellison
    Free Member

Personally I’d steer clear of the Crank Bros wheels products full stop.

Crank Bros as a whole have an attitude that stinks. IME their products are complete gash. The final straw came for me with some of their 50/50 pedals.

Within a month of fitting them, the bearings were completely lunched (and I’m not hard on pedals, I’m still using a 5-year-old set of SPDs and some Wellgo B24s which are 3 years old) and when I replaced them I discovered that the spindles were actually made from Cathedral City.

I e-mailed Crank Bros directly and (politely) told them what I thought, and received the snottiest, couldn’t-give-a-toss response ever, to the effect that they weren’t designed to be abused (eh??) in the way that I had, and what did I expect?

Red rag to a bull, vowed and declared never to buy another Crank Bros product ever again. And I haven’t.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

all the wheel you will ever need

will cost you a premium over the Hope Hoops, although will be better built wheels.

Look for the hope hoops, you can get good deals on them from time to time which will bring them below 300.

boxfish
    Free Member

I bought a set of the original Iodine wheels. The freehub exploded within a few months. It was repaired under warranty and I sold them soon after.

Also, they had very poorly sealed bearings (needed to be cleaned after every wet ride, especially the rear). There were also compatability issues with certain cassettes.

I won’t touch CB stuff now, either.

rentachimp
    Free Member

Thanks to all the CB panning, I’ve gone to my darling LBS (Lodge Cycles, Neath) and they’ve ordered me some stans on hope pro 2 for a touch over £300. Tubeless time!

moonboy
    Free Member

i got some hope hoops crest/pro ii through topcashback and wiggle about a year ago for my ghost amr. Best upgrade so far, good chunk lighter than the stock rims.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Help with wheels’ is closed to new replies.