Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Help with wheel choice…Easton or Hope
  • mindmap3
    Free Member

I need / want a new set of wheels for my SX. He choices are

Hope Pro II on EN521
    Easton Haven in CRC sale
    Easton Havoc in CRC sale

The Hopes are the cheapest and the most adaptable but are also the heaviest and there do seem to be a few issues with the bearings. The Havens are the lightest and best looking in my eyes and Dirt rate Thimbu again there does seem to be an issue with poor bearings.

Riding wise, I want something light but tough. The bike is used for bombing around the local woods on short DH runs, jumps and drops, trail centres and rides in the Peaks.

What are people’s experiences with the above wheels?

Thanks

sambob
    Free Member

Hope. Freehub is far less likely to implode, and are massively flexible in terms of axle types.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

I have Hopes and they’ve been great.

A mate has Eastons and rates them highly too. Comes with tubeless tape fitted means slightly less faff if you’re running tubeless too.

If there is a bearing issue with either then who will be easier to deal with? How much more weight with the Hopes are we talking?

mindmap3
    Free Member

The Hopes are about 400g heavier than the Havens and 300g or so than the Havoc.

The ability to run tubeless is an attraction to the Easton wheels and part of me thinks can a pair of wheels with an RRP of £700 really be that bad?

But the Hopes are a known quantity. I’m still using a pair of five bolt Bulbs on my BFe and I’ve never had any issues with Mavic rims. Hmmmmmm.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

I’m running tubeless on both my Crest and Flow EX rim wheelsets. Just needed Stans yellow tape, sealant and using TL ready tyres.

For the cost of the Eastons you could buy two Hope wheelsets and have close to £200 leftover. I got mine in the sales. 300-400g is an appreciable weight difference. What about replacements spokes and so on? Are they easier to source for the Eastons?

mindmap3
    Free Member

The Easton wheels are half price from CRC at the moment, so only a bit more expensive than the Hopes.

The spokes are supposed to be standard Sapim ones so should be easy to source. They Eastons do seem to divide opinions. A lot.

The weight saving is attractive though.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Then get the Eastons. Looks like you’ve subconsciously made up your mind and want the Hive’s stamp of approval! 🙂

Oh, and what’s the rim width on the Eastons? The Flow EX’s are lovely and beefy. Really seem to brutalise everything that’s in the way to make up for shit riders like me.

br
    Free Member

The Hopes… seem to be a few issues with the bearings.

Eh – compared to what, something Brunel made?

Not sure why you’d choose those rims, when you can have Stans for the same price. And with Eastons you have no real ability to change axles/standards etc.

mindmap3
    Free Member

I had decided on the Hopes until the Eastons were in the sale.

I don’t know too much about the Flow rims. The Eastons are 28mm wide, 23mm internal for the Havocs so a hit wider than the EN521.

Popocatapetl

I’ve had a set of Havens for a year. I’ve changed the non drive side bearing in the rear wheel and apart from that had no issues with them. They are by far the easiest wheels I’ve had for mounting tubeless tyres as well. Straight up first time, every time with a track pump. They’ve taken a beating in the Alps and Peak district and still going strong. I’ve got the 20mm front and 142×12 rear. You can interchange the axles for whatever you want. Downside, sourcing spokes, only place I could find them was Hibike.de.

craigxxl
    Free Member

Both good but think of getting spares when you need them.

patriotpro
    Free Member

What are these Hope bearing issues you speak of?

mindmap3
    Free Member

Patriot there seems t be a few members on here who have experienced short bearing life which seems t be down to them being a bit smaller than in previous hubs like the Bulb.

getonyourbike
    Free Member

I’d probably get the Havens, especially now the hub problem can be sorted for free.

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Easton-Cycling-Hub-Upgrade-Kit.html

pymwymis
    Free Member

American classic- blinking brilliant and easy to find cheap.

Very simple to inflate tubeless, very light, brilliant hubs, oh yeah they are wide rims which does wonders for contact patch and grip.

You will not be disappointed !

mindmap3
    Free Member

I’ve gone with a set of Easton Havocs because I don’t think that the magnesium colour of the Havens will go well with my poo brown 36’s and SX Trail.

I’ll get the rear wheel upgrade as soon as possible.

Once I’ve decided if I prefer a Minion front with rear High Roller or High Rollers front and rear I’ll take the plunge and try tubeless.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Help with wheel choice…Easton or Hope’ is closed to new replies.