Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Help with understanding all the recent Fox front fork models ?
  • qwertyuiop7
    Free Member

Looking to buy a new “to-me” Orange 5 from the classifieds and as i have been out of the scene for a good number of years the different models of Fox forks that seem to be available on them is totally and utterly confusing me (seem to have the Rockshox models nailed)

Im guessing the 32 / 34 bit refers to the diameter in mm of the stanchions and obviosly 34mm is stiffer but heavier.

But whats the Float and Talas bit refer too

and what do all the acronyms mean
    RCL
    CDT
    FIT
    Are they just year on year updates ? or are they differant levels of spec that are all available in each model year. If so any idea which model corresponds to which year.
    Which are best and are there any to avoid.

Cheers

Question about the bewildering number of rear shock options coming later 😀

bullroar
    Free Member

Float = fixed length travel air spring
    TALAS = 2 position travel, short or long (may also be 3 position on older forks)
    RLC = Adjustment of rebound (R) and low speed compression (LC). There is also RC2 which is rebound, low and high speed compression
    CTD= Climb, trail, descend adjustment of low speed compression to one of 3 settings (now (Firm, medium and open). You might also see “Trail adjust” which allows some further adjustment in the Trail mode.
    FIT = closed damper cartridge (Fit Isolated Technology)

razorrazoo

Avoid the Evo ones as the are the basic dampers.

qwertyuiop7
    Free Member

So all the recent ones will be FIT, unless they are Evolution models

They will be either RCL or CTD not both ?

And a Talas is better than a Float (but not if you are not bothered about changing the length )

At 15 stone would i be better with 36’s or will 34’s be ok, im guessing avoid 32’s

Thanks

mikewsmith
    Free Member

And a Talas is better than a Float (but not if you are not bothered about changing the length )

TALAS – Travel Adjust Linear Air Spring
    It’s more than travel adjust, it’s a fancy way to make the air spring more coil like which means you need to have better bottom out damping to cope.
    Unless you are really desperate for travel adjust avoid TALAS, my more modern frames work well with 160mm forks up and down.

32’s not for heavier riders or much over 120/130mm
    34’s great chassis stiff enough for my liking trail/am/enduro
    36’s stiffer with a weight penalty will take you into DH territory if you want.

There isn’t CTD in the 36 range I think, they seem to go with RC2 etc.

34 & 36 can be fitted with one of these http://www.avalanchedownhillracing.com/
    Which is aftermarket so even the most basic float can be made awesome with a cart upgrade.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Help with understanding all the recent Fox front fork models ?’ is closed to new replies.