Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Help with training loop in Bristol?
  • iamconfusedagain
    Free Member

Hi
    Bit of an odd request maybe but I am after some good (mainly)offroad loops to do for fitness. I am more of a roadie these days but the potholes and near misses with cars are getting a bit much for me at night.

I am after something I can hammer for 2-3hrs at a time with minimal stops, possibly on the cx bike or sometimes mtb, but either way nothing technical- I was crap when I used a mtb regularly- I am a liability now 😉

I am already thinking of AC/leigh woods- are there any good bridleways /tiny roads that be formed into a loop around there? I live closer to Frenchay- and would love to know if there are any good hidden bits around there- I have been around the Purdown but would ideally head out a bit away from people/dogs etc.

Thanks in advance for any ideas. If anyone does any cx rides it would be lovely to join you. While I am looking to go fast and get knackered, pace would be a bimble for any of the fit guys.

Cheers
    Matt

TooTall
    Free Member

Ride to Bath and back on the cycle path?

Look North and East as well – out the back of Pucklechurch there are a few bridleways and small country roads and heading towards Bitton sees a few more.

iamconfusedagain
    Free Member

I have done tons of miles on the cycle path, between bitton and bath. There are zillions of suicidal squirrels and lots of dogs off leads. Apparantly- according to postings recently on a forum lots of people are not happy with bikes doing >20mph on there- Im not really one for upsetting people so….

TooTall
    Free Member

Look North and East as well – out the back of Pucklechurch there are a few bridleways and small country roads and heading towards Bitton sees a few more.

Treat yourself to one of these:

Custom Map

and combine it with this:

wheresthepath

I’ve used them together for years to put together loops wherever I’ve lived.

iamconfusedagain
    Free Member

Thanks for the help I will give that a look. I may head over for a proper mtb ride at some point, and maybe bump into you. You ride in the Cheesy rides or am I confused?? I used to ride with Gary Lake and Hwe many years ago.

clubber
    Free Member

There are some brilliant CX type loops but they do include some road though they are quiet ones. that said, mine are all South of Bristol.

Here’s one of my favourites – it includes the Dundry descent twice which is brill on a CX 🙂
    http://app.strava.com/activities/13329390

While this one is a bit more road/off mixed but good training
    http://app.strava.com/activities/26025067

TooTall
    Free Member

one route

another route

I used to ride Cheesy. Don’t do that any more.

iamconfusedagain
    Free Member

Cheers guys, that should get me started nicely. Amazing- useful info from the internet 🙂

FuzzyWuzzy

If you have a high enough boredom threshold then just doing laps of the man-made trails in AC & LW can give you a decent enough work out, the only bit I’d avoid is the drops at the bottom of new barn wood section in AC as IME they aren’t a whole lot of fun on a CX bike.

BristolPablo
    Free Member

havent got an OS map to hand but there are some awesome white roads, RUPPs (are they still called that?!) and By-Ways around Pensford. I get there from Keynsham via Stockwood Vale, then through Publow to Pensford (good pub and little village shop!). From there head west towatrds Stanton Drew, Chew Magna, Dundry and back into town. I appreciate its not quite what you wanted but a half an hour with the OS map is all you need. At this time of year it will be proper filthy and ‘ardcore!

BristolPablo
    Free Member

TooTall – never knew about the custom OS map, thats brilliant!

iamconfusedagain
    Free Member

Cheers I will give it all a go. My boredom threshold is pretty high, 1 notch below turbo training which to me is a step too far!

longwayhome
    Free Member

It’s the other side of town but what about a loop taking in the tow path along the south side of the Avon from Bedminster to Avonmouth. To loop back you could go along the Portway which has quite a wide cycle path and a good bus lane a bit of the way or, for some hills, through Shirehampton, Stoke Bishop and onto the Downs. There’s quite a good, fast cycle path from UWE to Romney Avenue/ShaldonRoad/Muller Road to get you over that way from Frenchay.

Alternatively there are some long, fast, quiet cycletracks round the ring road to the NE of Bristol

clubber
    Free Member

Oh I did mean to say – if you fancy a spin, I’ll probably be out for a ride on Monday or Tuesday so drop me an email. It won’t be fast though…

iamconfusedagain
    Free Member

Hey that would be great. I will just need to check my lights. They have not been charged for some time.

cheers_drive

@iamconfusedagain – You bored of the skin suits and aero helmets then? I haven’t seen you in ages.
    A few laps of the man maid LW and AC trails is OK for an evening or two a week.
    I think country road are safer a night that during the day, cars can see you a long way off. Why not just use the CX on the small lanes? There is usually a Cheesy Riders road ride one eve per week although they may be a bit slow for you.

iamconfusedagain
    Free Member

Hi Rob

Na I shall be back on the tt bike next year and its still road bike on Sat and Sun, but for a few months I am not looking for something a bit different while keeping some speed. My problem with CX bike on the road is in my head. It just seems so SLOW and dull. I dont mind some little roads mixed with other stuff. Maybe meet up for a ride some time if I get back on the mtb? Im okay with the stuff around AC last time I looked- you would just have to wait occasionally for me to mince to the end of a section.

cheers_drive

Hi Matt,
    Just give me a bell if you want to go out for a ride. Make it soon though as we are moving to Cambs before xmas. I’ll probably need some TT tips for my future riding as apparently that is what they do in the flatlands (as well as have relationships with cousins and wear John Deere hats).

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Help with training loop in Bristol?’ is closed to new replies.