Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Help with stuck seatpost please?
  • judy-rockshox
    Free Member

My carbon EC90 seatpost is stuck in my titanium frame (Merlin Oreas). I have managed to move it out about 3 inches but looks like I’ve got about another 3 to go. It twists and turns but I just can’t get it out. Watched on YouTube someone pouring a kettle of boiling water on one. Will it work? Like I say, it’s turning round but maybe I’m just not strong enough to pull it out.
    Any ideas please.

TiRed

Lubricate with WD40, leave for a day and apply the kettle . Post will come out eventually. It’s not corroded. I’ve done the same with a steel frame with no problem. Now an alloy post in a steel frame… That is a different matter.

coomber
    Free Member

WD40 wont do much. Use penetrating oil it’s thicker and does a better job.

If it’s moving then it’s not really that stuck. Should come out no bother.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    judy-rockshox
    Free Member

Thanks. I’ll try some oil. I’ve already done Fenwick penetrative spray lubricant. I’ll try the oil overnight and see what happens.

wwaswas

I’d be careful what you put down there (vicar)- if the carbon’s damaged you don;t want anything that’s going to cause it to swell.

If it were me I’d get the wheels off the frame, put a saddle on the seatpost and stand on the saddle and twist/pull the frame up – you’ll get more leverage. Or put the post in a vice if you have one.

trailmoggy
    Free Member

Make a well around were the post meets the frame with play doh, fill it up and let it drip in its self gradually with good penetrating oil may take a few days though

judy-rockshox
    Free Member

That makes sense trailmoggy. I haven’t got play doh but maybe I could do that with blue tack. My friend tried to shift it tonight but no luck. I don’t think we have the physical strength to pull and twist it at the same time. Will the oil affect the carbon post anyone?
    If we can’t do it, I’ll have to ask LBS.

twisty

If it were me I’d get the wheels off the frame, put a saddle on the seatpost and stand on the saddle and twist/pull the frame up – you’ll get more leverage. Or put the post in a vice if you have one.

+1 this, and if that still doesn’t work then I’d try pouring hot water over the seat tube or otherwise trying to gently heat heat the ti so it expands a bit.

It’s also worth removing the seat clamp bolt and inspecting the clamping area, maybe it’s bent and you need to gently pry it apart.

dovebiker

Try an anti-corrosion treatment like ACF50 – apply liberally down the seattube via the BB as well and leave for a few days to break down the oxides that a jamming the post in position. The fact that you can twist the post is encouraging as it will help to get the anti-corrosion fluid in there to help lubricate.

ghastlyrabbitfat
    Free Member

Not tried, but heard of this one.

Fit saddle you don’t mind getting a little chewed and take the (stripped down frame) with problem post into the street and to your nearest friendly slotted water drain. Invert the frame and insert part of the saddle nose into one of the drain slots. Stand on the saddle to lock it in position and use frame to lever whilst pulling upwards.

Apparently works quite well.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Help with stuck seatpost please?’ is closed to new replies.