• This topic has 5 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Earl.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • help with sizing – flat bar on cx frame
  • Earl
    Free Member

Thinking about getting a flatbar version of the planetx xls. Seams like a good deal for £899.

Anyhow its for mrs earl who is 5’2.

According to the geo chart, Size small is for 5’3 to 5’7

Currently she rides a 15″ mtb with ETT of 555mm toptube + 80mm stem = 635mm reach
    The xls in Small has a ETT of 516mm and 100mm stem. = 616mm reach

To get the same reach she would need to go for the Large frame which doesn’t sound sensible at all.

Can someone explain it to me?

geoffj

If its the same frame as the drop bar version then it will have a shorter ETT for a given size than an MTB.
    You need to consider seat tube length for standover. You’ll be able to tweak the geo with a layback post / different stem combo, but if in doubt, you’d be better off getting your mrs to throw a leg over one before buying.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Small sounds right for 5’2″.

Careful comparing the ETT on different frames as it depends on seat angle too.

As said, CX will be shorter reach than the equivalent mtb. And MTB reach depends on bar width and backsweep too.

Earl
    Free Member

Should we be trying to replicate the same reach on the flatbar cx as the mtb? or is shorter the correct fitting?

geoffj

Should we be trying to replicate the same reach on the flatbar cx as the mtb? or is shorter the correct fitting?

Depends – instinctively, I’d be looking for a longer reach on a more road-biased bike to get a lower/faster position, but it depends on what it’ll be used for. You do really need to consider seat tube length too.

Earl
    Free Member

Thanks – I’ll try incorporate the seat tube into it tonight and see what pops out.
    I’m guessing taking a frame designed from drop bars and sticking a flat bar onto it is not ideal.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘help with sizing – flat bar on cx frame’ is closed to new replies.