Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Help with Shimano 105 10spd Brifters + Canti Brake Combo?
  • binno
    Free Member

Has anyone had any success running a rear canti brake from an earlier model 105 shifter?
    I’m getting good results from the front with a tektro 720 but no lock out from the rear end.

Any advice, good brake to lever combos or mini v alternatives etc… welcomed. IE: do i need to to use v-brake compatible drop brake levers like the cane creeks with mtb v-brakes and bar end shifters or thumbies to get a good result?

Reading mixed reviews on the travel adaptors and tyre clearance issues with mini v’s – no actual experience with either. My experience to date with the rear brake is mushy and soft action with no bite, not a hope of getting it to lock out.

JoB
    Free Member

have you tried tinkering with the straddle height on the rear, that can make a huge difference, as can a smooth cable run

crazybaboon

Both of my cross bikes run 105 shifters with canti brakes, one has trp carbons and the other Avid shortys, both work good but are fiddly to set up.
    I may be after different results from you as I only use my bikes for racing and training, they are set up with a lot of clearance which results in a lot of lever travel and less power, but it’s possible to lock both wheels

Northwind

I had Shorty 4s on 5600 105s (don’t know if that qualifies as “earlier”!) Worked fine, but the lack of barrel adjusters was irritating, had to have them set very wide to make it possible to get the wheel out.

So, new frame and I’m in the middle of swapping to mini-vs. Haven’t got it rideable yet but should do in the next week or so. (tektro 926s, incidentally, plus adjuster noodles, no travel agents)

binno
    Free Member

Ok, so it’s possible then. I’d be happy with a skidable lock out on the rear, as the front is quite good really.
    Adjuster noodles are new to me, I’ll take a look into those if i go down then brake route.

My debate, do i persevere wit hcanti’s but a longer rear cable hanger to get a smooth cable line and try a set of the new shimano CX or avid shorty canti’s or sling the canti brake idea and go for a v-brake option?

ctznsmith
    Free Member

If you’re going to buy a new brake, Id’ recommend buying a Tektro RX5 mini-V which seem to work with road levers. Use a noodle with an adjuster though as clearance to remove the wheel is tight.

Otherwise I’d say persevere with the CR720’s, they are good brakes and you should be able to get decent stopping power with them (although I’ve never got the rear to be great I admit). Saying that I’ve never worked out why you would want to be able to lock up/skid the rear wheel as long as you can stop/reduce speed safely. Maybe I’m not riding ‘correctly’. 😉

p.s. we did some back to back testing of Shimano CX canti’s and the RX5 brakes at work and the RX5’s were better.

binno
    Free Member

Thanks for the CX feedback.

Does anyone know where i can source some RX5’s – ideally in black please?
    Be good to try a single brake to start with. Not finding anything online, though I have found cable adjust v-brake pipes!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Help with Shimano 105 10spd Brifters + Canti Brake Combo?’ is closed to new replies.