Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Help with new phone
  • seizednuts
    Free Member

Right just got a iphone4. In my excitment i ripped into the packaging and put it all together activated the sim and all good fun.

And now my old sim is deactivated and i cant figure out how to get my contacts across to the new phone. Im orange but the online back up isnt working any ideas.

The old phone is a HTC Desire.

Cougar

Sync to Google and export back.

stumpy01

Pretty sure if you saved them to the phone in the first place (rather than Google) you can’t just sync to Google or ‘send to Google’ either.
    It’s what I had ddone and was a ball ache.

Bluetooth should still work on the old phone, so you could pair it to the new phone & send it that way?

Cougar

They should automatically be synced with Google.

nickjb
    Free Member

When I transferred mine I opened the contacts in the old phone, selected all, selected send business card via bluetooth then received them on the new phone. I had to OK each one which was a bit of a pain but a good chance for a cull. That was from a Nokia to an Android Nexus though. No idea if that works on other phones.

I_Ache
    Free Member

Bluetooth one by one

stumpy01

Cougar – nope. Maybe it works like that now, but it never used to.

My HTC Desire was my first smart phone & when I first set it up I didn’t have a Google account. Upon initial set-up it gave several options about where to store the contacts & I chose phone.

I then realised I should probably sort out a Google account and once it was done I tried to see how to get all my phone numbers onto Google contacts. There were loads of threads about it online and there was no easy fix to get contacts from the ‘phone’ to Google. Real ball ache…and annoying, especially as it synced if you added a contact to your Google account, but not the other way round.

giantx4
    Free Member

Ha mate i had this same dilema 2 weeks ago, coming to ip4 from galaxy s2…
    Heres what i did…
    Saved all contacts to sim on android fone (std sized sim)
    Cut sim card to micro size (yes thats the way)
    Insert micro sized card into ip4
    Go to mail/contacts/calenders in settings
    Click on import contacts from sim
    Hey presto youve done it!!
    Happy…

BearBack
    Free Member

i bet theres an app for that!

I managed to export all my (pos) iphone contacts to google then sync my new android phone to my google account and job done.

It must be a possibility from an early android.

Cougar

Maybe it works like that now, but it never used to.

I’d have to test it to be 100% sure, but chances are that it’s changed. Gingerbread (or maybe ICS?) fixed a lot of really annoying phone book niggles for me.

Saved all contacts to sim

the problem there is a SIM can’t contain anything like the amount of data in a modern phone’s address book. If all your contacts are formatted ‘John Smith (mobile) 07123 456789’ then it’ll probably work (and you’ll no doubt be glad to be getting rid of your Nokia 5.1), but if you’ve got multiple numbers assigned to contacts then you’ve no chance.

bails

Connect to WiFi on the HTC.
    Setup a Google account if you don’t already have one.
    Sync all contacts to Google.
    Download your address book from Google on your PC.
    Follow whatever the process is to import them to apple.

BearBack
    Free Member
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Help with new phone’ is closed to new replies.