Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Help with new Graphics card Few questions
  • Spankmonkey
    Free Member

Question for the It buffs on here, well a few. I have a Packard bell PC and have brought a 2nd hand graphics card, the rest of my pc is pretty good (4gb ram, 2.7 quad core) but integrated graphics. I brought a HD radeon card, he said it was a 2600 but the pic does not match anything on the net (I think it is a 3650) so my questions

How can I tell what model it is (I have searched all the codes printed on it but nothing comes up, can I find out anyway once its plugged in?
    How easy is it to replace the power supply, I have a 250 watt but have ordered a 450 to power the card. There are 4 leads, is it quite simple?
    If I install the wrong drivers will the pc think the card is a different one?
    The card has DVI, HDMI and Display port outputs, I have a 22” LG monitor with just VGA connection so which port from the card should I use to get the best results, with the appropriate adaptor? i.e VGA to ???? (DVI, HDMI, DP)

All in all I just want the easiest way to ensure I know what model it is, which output port I should use.

samuri
    Free Member

plug it in, the PC will work it out. if not get SIW or some other system analysis tool, it'll tell you.
    power supplys are a doddle to replace but make sure you have got the right type, ATX v2 I would imagine.

Displayport to vga would work best I expect but you'll need an adaptor

edit: actually I'll take that last bit back now I've thought about it. I reckon DVI to VGA will work best.

Spankmonkey
    Free Member

thanks for the advice, whats the major difference with ATX or ATX v2?? does this PSU look ok?

samuri
    Free Member

Yep, that's bang on. It's the connector type that changes. Is there another 6 pin plug out of shot? That's the one you'll need for the graphics card.

edit: aah, I see that's the one you've found on ebay. That's a v1.3. You might want to check what's wqritten on your existing PSU first, it should have ATX v2.0 on it somewhere.

samuri
    Free Member
    Spankmonkey
    Free Member

My pc is a packard bell Imedia 2414, not being at the pc im not sure is it is ATX new or old, that said my card is this one below, no power supply needed, would I need to upgrade the PSU? as it does not have its own supply?

samuri
    Free Member

It's definately not a 2600, probably not a 3650 either as that has two DVI outputs. Anyway, the good news is that that should plug straight into your PCI-E slot and if you're very lucky you might not need a bigger power supply. Try it and see.

Spankmonkey
    Free Member

Thanks samuri you have been great, any idea what it is?

Oh btw it has an HDMI, a DVI and a DP output, one of each

samuri
    Free Member

nah, it's probably a 3000 series but no idea which one, it's been a while since I looked at those cards.

pedalhead
    Free Member

GPU-Z will tell you what card you have (once installed of course) 🙂

Spankmonkey
    Free Member

thanks for the help guys! its installed and working, HOWEVER.. the seller said it was a 2600 512mb, it was a 3450 or something with 256mb ram. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR but I cannot be bothered to remove it and mess about seding it back. Anyhow can anyone let me know about Geforce cards and how the numbering works or which ones to look out for. Im after a 512 or a 1gb card, max £30 2nd hand so prob ebay! any advice on whats good, and are nvidia leading ATI? so basically £30 which 512 or 1gb card off ebay, ATi or geforce?? cheers

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Help with new Graphics card Few questions’ is closed to new replies.