Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Help with new frame, 26" or….? Full Sus
  • thorpey0
    Free Member

I am currently in the market for a full sus frame. I currently have a 456 built up with half decent bits – Pike’s, Hope Hoops etc and I can’t really decide wether to stick with 26″ 0 if so which frame is the best out there for trail riding under £800? OR…

Do I bite the bullet and go for something in 27.5 and replace all the most expensive bits of my old bike like wheels and forks

OR – Do I sneak a new bike past my wife…..?

Either way my budget is around £1500 maybe a touch more 😉

If I go 26 I could spend more on a frame and new bits like a Reverb and use most of the bits off my old build.

So far I like the look of the Codine 29, El Guapo, Radon Slide (getting well above budget but so much bike for the money) and the Canyon Nerve AL – but are no large demos available for any of them so its a bit of a buy and hope….

So what do I do folks? HELP!

jonnym92

Not sure if it will be your thing but won’t a Banshee Spitfire take 26″ or 650b depending on dropouts? Could be a good way to gradually migrate – was my plan anyway.

I stand to be corrected though.

rhid

I am kind of in the same boat. I would like a new full suss frame (currently on 26″) and was considering a 27.5 full build, but still have loads of life left in the components on my 26er.

I have been googling 26-27.5 compatible frames but have not really found much. Does anyone know of a reliable list of manufacturer approved frames that can run both wheel sizes? Or it this just a myth….?

Saccades
    Free Member

tyre size doesn’t matter – whatever you get makes sure it takes a tapered steerer.

My latest bike is a ancient discontinued thing that only takes a straight steerer – luckily I was able to get one of the last BNIB straight steerer, 15mm bolt thru forks of decent quality.

I know DTswiss have stopped making straight steerers – and if you have to you can fit a 650b fork and run 26″ wheels on a 26″ frame with something big volume like a Fat Albert and be grand.

thorpey0
    Free Member

Like the look of the Spitfire but I only have 140mm Pike and not sure that is enough up front. Also seems more downhill orientated.. Happy to be shot down though 🙂

thorpey0
    Free Member

OK, love the look of the Spitfire….Someone stop me!

jam-bo

Bandit 26″. Frames are around £400 s/h. Awesome bikes.

Come up small, I’m 5’10 and large is perfect fit.

teethgrinder

Spitfire will run 140-160mm forks.

You can get new air spring assemblies for Pikes, I think. Take them to 160mm.

thorpey0
    Free Member

Would that be the Transition Bandit jambo? They look good, where can I pick one up in L/XL for £400? ❓

br
    Free Member

If I go 26 I could spend more on a frame and new bits like a Reverb and use most of the bits off my old build.

I did this as a half-way house and bought a s/h Cube from here – mainly due to a total inability to make up my mind on what bike (or even type/travel) I wanted.

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

Check out my Covert in the for sale forum. A lot of bike for the money and open to reasonable offers.

jam-bo

Would that be the Transition Bandit jambo? They look good, where can I pick one up in L/XL for £400?
    POSTED 44 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

I got my frame from the classifieds here for £400.

There was a complete bike a week or so ago for £850 I think.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Help with new frame, 26" or….? Full Sus’ is closed to new replies.