Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Help with my wet patch
  • beefheart
    Free Member

I’ve just returned home after a week away, and found a wet area of carpet in the corner of a room.
    It is an old Victorian house, ground floor room which has carpet over concrete/tiled floor.
    There is a radiator in the corner also, but absolutely no sign of moisture on any of the pipes or valves and the boiler hasn’t lost any pressure. Walls are dry and it hasn’t come from above either.
    It looks like there is a significant leak as about 1m2 of carpet is wet and squelchy.
    Any ideas where this could be coming from?

Drac

Ah! Carry on no sex beaker required.

burgatedicky

Watch out, could be a mineshaft!!
    “woman has her slow-draining bath to thank for revealing a mineshaft under her house.”

You could thank your radiator in the end!

On a more serious note we had an old cast iron pip burst under our utility room floor (cold feed) which caused a large (but not enormously quick) leak similar to yours.

UrbanHiker
    Free Member

condensation?

mattyfez

That’s a lot a lot of very localised condensation lol!

It must be coming from somewhere, have you lifted the carpet in that corner to have a look?

Is it an exterior wall, if so any clues outside?

perchypanther
    Free Member

Is there an external cast iron rainwater down pipe in that corner of the building?

neilnevill
    Free Member

Ch pipes set in the concrete floor? Pin hole in one of the copper pipes

wrightyson
    Free Member

Can’t be ch as no pressure loss? Been very cold of late, possible burst on incoming water main?

riklegge

Is there an ariel cable into that part of the room? We had an issue a couple of years ago where water was being drawn through the cable capillary style, there was an awful lot of water.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Clearly it’s rising damp and you’ll need that snake-oil stuff injected into your walls 😉

UrbanHiker – Member
    condensation?

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQGW46B6x_4[/video]

Condensation together with single brick exterior walls that are cold accounts for a lot of damp. Have it in my house on the most exposed wall. It’s simply because it gets wet and cold.

However, as said, seems unlikely if the carpet is soaking plus the walls are seemingly dry. More likely a leak. Under floor pipe? Is there any rust/hole under the radiator or behind where it might be dripping?

plyphon
    Free Member

That too, is condensation.

senorj

A very pissed ghost?

Cougar

I live in a Victorian terrace and had exactly the same thing a couple of years ago (only I had the luxury of floorboards). It turned out to be a burst pipe in the chimney breast, running from the back boiler to the cylinder upstairs.

I had to get a man in and dig out my house insurance policy.

neilnevill
    Free Member

It could be just a pin hole in the child water main, concrete really rots a metal incoming main as the cold pipe condensates. If it’s anywhere nearby that spot anyway.

You can turn the main off outside the house, disconnect a pipe inside, see if the water drops in that pipe.

I strongly suspect you’ll be digging up some concrete, wherever the pipe that is leaking is.

Onzadog
    Free Member

How big is your cat?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Help with my wet patch’ is closed to new replies.