Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Help with Mavic CrossRide hubs (High Street at Risk)
  • thegeneralist
    Free Member

Just getting my new Mojo ready for its first proper ride in the Lakes tomorrow and thought I’d have a look to see if the p1ss poor braking is due to the pads being worn (it’s done about 70km so I doubt it).
    Whilst fiddling with the pads I noticed that the rear disk is rattling, and fairly loose. I took the wheel off and had a look at the mechanism. There appears to be a lock ring about 5cm or so in diameter with loads of indentations in it that look similar to what you get on a bottom bracket.
    Should it be possible to remove this ring by hand? I’m guessing not since it says 40Nm on it or something similar and my hands aren’t that strong. So I removed it and the disk slid off from the pins that it was interlocked with. The pins themselves seem to be mounted on a similar 5cm diameter ring which itself binds onto the hub by a set of teeth on the inner side.
    Two questions: Should the disk have a certain amount of play in it, ie rattle?
    SHould it be possible to undo the lockring by hand? And if not, what tool do I need to tighten it up.

I appreciate that GIMF and I’m just about to look there but I thought I’d post beforehand just in case I can’t find the answer.

tomatoevousparlour
    Free Member

It should be done up to 40nm so cant undo by hand, and its a cassette tool to do it up with.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

HTII lockring tool would appear to be what I’m after.
    It wasn’t just possible to remove it by hand, it had pretty much undone itself completely…

Should the disk itself rattle?

andytherocketeer

same tool as for a cassette isn’t it?
    edit: and rattling sounds very wrong to me

bigrich

no, nothing on your bike should rattle. who fitted it?

thegeneralist
    Free Member

nothing on your bike should rattle. who fitted it?

Are you sure? The front one is solid. The two disks on both my old bikes and my wife’s old bikes were solid. I guess I should face the reality that perhaps this one shouldn’t rattle. The gears seem to be badly adjusted, like I mentioned above the brakes are pretty poor and to cap it all the shop fitted the brake levers on the wrong sides, which could have caused a major upset if I’d tried anything tricky on the first day.

The bike is 2 weeks old.

bm0p700f
    Free Member

The centre lock disc should not rattle. there are actually two types of locking on that takes a cassette tool and the other take the external BB tool. Shimano centre locks hubs come with both. However the Park tool EXternal BB cup tool does not fit over the axle but the Cyclus ultra torque/powertorque BB tool fits poerfectly. Fortunatley I have both in the shop.

valleydaddy
    Free Member

I had this with my crossrides that were fitted to my Zesty,they are the centre lock fitment, always kept coming loose so got rid of them, didn’t trust them

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Help with Mavic CrossRide hubs (High Street at Risk)’ is closed to new replies.