Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Advice/Help with interval training please
  • Vortexracing

Evening STW massive, I need some advice from all you experienced healthy/fit types on here, so here we go

I usually, during winter, partake of some interval training on the turbo. All the training plans I have used have always looked to ‘block’ 3 x sets of intervals mid week and then added a couple of longer rides at a more steady pace the weekend.

These have worked fine, but I find myself wanting to commute more during the week (50 mile return journey). Obviously the weather plays a large part in the decision to commute or not.

When I do commute I tend to take it easy and not go flat out, due to traffic, weather etc. and the fact that I’m riding for 2 to 2.5 hours means its more like the steady weekend riding.

So the question is, will splitting up the 3 x interval block by throwing a commute or two in be detrimental in anyway?

Do you get the most from intervals by having blocks of them?

or in other words is it just as beneficial to alternate intervals with steadier longer rides?

ta

Dave

schmiken

Intervals work best when you approach them fresh, so commute miles may not be as beneficial. As I have a 13 mile each way commute 3 days a week I use that for my interval sessions and make the most of the time on the bike. I then use the ride back as a recovery ride. Early to bed then means I feel rested enough to do the same the next day.

rollindoughnut
    Free Member

I think you need a target race in the not too distant future to justify intervals. Otherwise just riding is fine.
    And yes you need to be fresh. If you want to get fast you have to sacrifice the steady rides. You can either train to race or you can just ride. If you’re training to race then you have to go really hard between 3-6days a week depending on your experience. There is a place for longer rides but even these should contain specific blocks of effort if you’re really serious.

I tend to do my training in 3 day blocks if possible but the reality is you fit them in when you can, even if that means you’re doing max efforts in bursts, round and round a football pitch, in the dark and rain on a Monday night (as I was last week)

Vortexracing

The main aim is to lose some weight and also to generally keep/increase fitness over winter, there is no racing involved at all.

I have tried to incorporate the intervals into the commute (last year) but it’s a bit difficult with traffic lights, traffic in general and other obstructions.

One of the reasons for asking is that over the past 6 weeks or so, I have increased the ‘just riding’ by quite a lot and done no intervals as it was autumn, thinking this would reduce my weight, but I have lost sod all weight. 🙁

I was wondering if people respond differently to different types of exercise, i.e. would intervals help me lose the weight rather than steady rides. What I didn’t want to do, was spend my whole time on the turbo, for obvious reasons.

MaryHinge
    Free Member

If you are riding “about the same amount” your calorie burn will “be about the same amount”. So you won’t really lose much weight if you aren’t watching your calorie intake scientifically.

So to lose weight, you really need to drop a few calories from your intake.

I’d suggest dropping a few carbs. It will take a few weeks to have an effect.

Vortexracing

So to lose weight, you really need to drop a few calories from your intake. I’d suggest dropping a few carbs. It will take a few weeks to have an effect.

So that’s no doughnuts at work then.

MaryHinge
    Free Member

‘Fraid so!

Cut down the carbs and sugar to lose weight.

Oh, that really is doughnuts innit. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news 🙁

jameso

3 x interval block

Not sure I could do 3 proper (ie structured in a way that has an 8-12 week fitness gain) interval seesions a week. In fact I know I couldn’t. 1 a week, done to absolute limit -ie I dreaded it in a way- can be very effective. 2, max. I tend to do longer intervals for endurance riding rather than sprint/road race pattern stuff, that may change things, but even so it takes a couple of days min to get back to recovered state. Also remembering that the gain is in the recovery.

For calorie burn I’ve read that a really HI session of ~60-90 mins elevates the metabolism for longer and can burn off more overall than the longer steady rides. There will be a cross-over point though and it’ll depend on how efficient you are.
    Fasted rides in the am are effective in the mid to long term also.

Do you get the most from intervals by having blocks of them?

Personally, 1x a week on a turbo, bury yourself. Mix with other rides in the week. No computer games nonsense, just a HRM and a timer. If you’re on the road it’s harder to regulate effort unless you have miles of open flat ground with little traffic or you do hill repeats.

Kryton57

My typical week at the moment is 3 x hard intervals, 1 x Zone 3/4 1hr time trial and a “club” or self regulated 2.5hrs at the weekend with instructions to push hard on the hills but otherwise enjoy myself.

Freshness is key. This mornings x9 Z6 intervals felt a tad heavy after Friday’s flu Jab but I went to bed early and got 9hrs sleep in anticipation.

I have a target race in December with no other aim than the fact its an end point for this block and will lead into R&R before the next one.

whitestone
    Free Member

A 50 mile round trip commute is a lot. Intervals, if you do them properly, are really hard work and unless you’ve got time to recover then one session a week is probably all you’ll manage. When I was mainly running I’d do one session of hill reps a week which even on a relatively low weekly mileage of 30 miles or so was all I needed to give me that oomph. It took about two to three months for the benefits to show so you have to stick at it.

As jameso says, a turbo session is probably better as you can precisely manage the efforts without having to worry about traffic, junctions, etc.

Vortexracing

For calorie burn I’ve read that a really HI session of ~60-90 mins elevates the metabolism for longer and can burn off more overall than the longer steady rides.

That is what I have heard/read as well

As jameso says, a turbo session is probably better as you can precisely manage the efforts without having to worry about traffic, junctions, etc.

It does appear that that may be the case, also it seems that you guys are saying that as long as I get a roughly 2 x HIT turbo sessions, then the odd commute in between will be OK.

Looks like the calorie and sugar aspect may have to be adopted as well 🙁

This has not been necessary in previous years, especially during late spring/summer/autumn times as just plenty of riding has worked OK WRT weight control.

I was wondering if getting older (52) was starting to mean a change in exercise regime may be necessary to keep the weight down. In other words my metabolism is slowing down due to age naturally anyway.

Kryton57

keep the weight down

Look at the “per 100g” on food labelling – don’t eat anything with over 10g – 10 % – of fat content.

jameso

My typical week at the moment is 3 x hard intervals, 1 x Zone 3/4 1hr time trial and a “club” or self regulated 2.5hrs at the weekend with instructions to push hard on the hills but otherwise enjoy myself.

Freshness is key.
    Freshness is key, you can’t train tired muscles so not sure how you do all that in a week and stay fresh. 5 sessions where none are recovery or low pace, how does that work for you?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Advice/Help with interval training please’ is closed to new replies.