• This topic has 21 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by NJA.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Help with gift ideas for my Dads 70th B'day, even though he has told us not to !
  • qwertyuiop7
    Free Member

I need some help with some gift ideas for my dad’s 70th birthday present. We are all under strict instructions not to buy him anything as he says he doesn’t need anything and instead just wants us all to come to his party. I obviously can’t get him nothing but have no idea what to get. He will be properly annoyed if we spend (waste in his eyes) a load of cash, so looking for some sub £50 ideas. He is a very ‘young’ 70 years old, he’s still very active and enjoys the outdoors.His main interests are gardening, walking in the Yorkshire dales/Lake District, touring France in his pride and joy – Nissan 370Z and weekends away with mates drinking fine wine and Ales :D.
    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Phil

jekkyl

Increase your budget or double up with a sibling. One of these would be ace for a lake district fan. I’ve been fancying one for ages. Flying out of Carlisle.
    http://www.flysceniclakedistrict.co.uk/tours

Junkyard
    Free Member

/Thread
    Great Idea that

jimw
    Free Member

Why not make him something? Or find some photos and make one of those books you can get online?

My parents had their 60th wedding anniversary last year and we had similar strict instructions. I made them some simple silver napkin rings, my brother made a photo book from contributions from all the family. Both were very well received

jekkyl

I bet you could ask rough times for the flight over certain areas so that you might see people you knew, perhaps on top of a mountain at the same time you flew over, Skiddaw for eg is a very easy mountain to walk up.

binners

Coke and hookers, obvs!

He may say don’t get me anything, but what he actually meant was don’t get me anything that isn’t coke and hookers

natrix
    Free Member

Driving a steam train at Didcot railway centre on fathers day would probably be within budget, depends on where you live and if he likes steam trains though……………………

Esme
    Free Member

An “experience” sounds ideal.
    But if you’d prefer to buy a “thing”, how about a 3D Relief Map (Yorkshire Dales or Lake District)?

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

I hope I’ve as excellent taste in cars when I’m 70!

Ignoring the fact that Binners was clearly spot on, you said he likes fine wines. Does £50 on a bottle **** as fine and something he wouldn’t usually drink or is he used to finer.

darrenspink
    Free Member

Take him out for a walk (Ingleton waterfalls) etc then a nice meal and ales.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

I think **** was a misspelled count!

Pickers

Increase your budget or double up with a sibling. One of these would be ace for a lake district fan. I’ve been fancying one for ages. Flying out of Carlisle.

That looks great… I’ve been looking at This for my Dads birthday this summer

badllama
    Free Member

Linky

And have his name put on it 🙂

joelowden

Got my mum a hot air balloon trip for her 70th ; she really enjoyed herself.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

He’s probably saying that he doesn’t want anything because he really doesn’t want anything so why not spend the day with him, just the two of you on a good walk in the Lakes, followed by a decent dinner.

kja78
    Free Member

How about a track day in his car? My dad’s 66 and has just smashed his GSXR1000 to bits at Brands Hatch.

senorj

Coke&hookers may be over budget… How about a visit to a massage parlour in Barrow? 🙂

FuzzyWuzzy

Does he drink? Got my Dad a 40 year old port and a 30 year old whisky for his 70th (I couldn’t afford a 70 year old whisky :p )

ChrisHeath

Whenever I say ‘don’t get me anything, I don’t want or need anything’ the absolute best thing anybody could get me is nothing. Like I asked for.

Of course, that rarely happens and then I end up feeling doubly crap. Firstly irritated at getting the thing I didn’t want, then feeling guilty about not being grateful for getting the thing I didn’t want.

But, that’s probably just me…

I keep suggesting that if people really, really have to spend some money, then give it to a charity that I support on my behalf. Of course, that gets ignored as well coz, y’know, everybody loves being bought crap that don’t want or need, don’t they? 🙂

qwertyuiop7
    Free Member

Whenever I say ‘don’t get me anything, I don’t want or need anything’ the absolute best thing anybody could get me is nothing. Like I asked for.

Of course, that rarely happens and then I end up feeling doubly crap. Firstly irritated at getting the thing I didn’t want, then feeling guilty about not being grateful for getting the thing I didn’t want.

That’s my worry as I really do think he means it !!

The intention was to not go daft and spend a load , just get him a small ‘token’ gift that is hopefully something he didn’t know he needed.

Thanks for all the ideas so far, I imagine there are some cheap hookers in Scarborough so they would come in under budget but im not sure my mum would approve 😀

Liking the engraved Leatherman idea, but might just arrange to meet him in Wharfedale and walk up Buckden Pike followed by a steak and a pint

Thanks again

NJA

We took my dad for a day at Newmarket Races. Dad, Mum, 3 sons with wives and all 6 grandchildren. We rented a bus, all got dressed up had a really nice meal, and he won a few quid too. Great day out.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Help with gift ideas for my Dads 70th B'day, even though he has told us not to !’ is closed to new replies.