Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • help with front mech please, pretty urgent!
  • granny_ring

Trying to sort mates bike out. Sram X7 shifter and I’ve bought an alivio front mech.There were no instructions so taken a punt on cable routing on the mech, is it right? When I shift into middle ring it throws the shifter too far and chain jams against the middle ring so I’m guessing it’s pulling too much cable.
    I’ll try and attach a pic.
    He’s picking the bike up later so hope I can get it working for him…
    TIA

granny_ring

Junkyard
    Free Member

is the shifter high enough ?

Is it adjusted properly for the inner as it may be too far over to start with ?

Pics will be massively helpful but if the lever moves it the routing is probably ok so it just needs setting up properly moving the adjust screws that are on it somewhere
    Instruction guide below

http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/front-derailleur-adjustment

granny_ring

Balls, doesn’t help that I’m having to do this on the phone as the laptop is out of use at the mo.
    Can anyone sort the pic out at all? Cheers

Junkyard
    Free Member

bruneep

2 for the price of 1

granny_ring

Adjusted fine on the granny_ring…. Lol.
    1-2 mm clearance when in 1st gear

Junkyard
    Free Member

see those two screws above it one adjusts the trim for inner and one for how far it can move – ie outer fiddle with them – undo cable first and use guide above routing looks fine to me

granny_ring

Cheers guys, does the cable route look right to you?

stumpyjon

Aren’t SRAM and Shimano pull ratios different and therefore not compatible.

Junkyard
    Free Member

rear only not front always used shimano front mechs with my SRAM

granny_ring

I’ll have another look at the cable tension, I slackened it off to get enough clearance off the gr

granny_ring

Cheers guys it’s better than it was but it’s catching on one side or the other when I adjust the tension. I’ve thrown in the towel now, the bastid got me…..he’ll have to visit the LBS!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘help with front mech please, pretty urgent!’ is closed to new replies.