Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Help with crank removal
  • Highland28
    Free Member

Hi,

I am trying to remove some old cranks to replace them with newer ones and replace the chain rings, I have succesfully manages to get the driveside cranks of fine using the removal tool. However, the non-driveside was de-threaded by the tool when I tried to remove it. I am not to fussed by wrecking them as they are pretty rubbish so i have tried to hammer them off etc but they are not budging. Does anyone have any ideas that are not going to wreck the frame?

Cheers

Bazz

Try heating the crank arm with gentle applications of a blow torch and tap off with a large screwdriver and hammer.

legend
    Free Member

if you’re careful, these can be very effective

foxyrider
    Free Member

I used a chisel to get my cranks off last – old Campag setup and drive side thread stripped. So bashed a chisel between crank and BB – marked the BB (threw it away anyway) and the crank but now all fine so it was only cosmetic.

Junkyard
    Free Member

what legend said without the carefull warning ans get a big haamer and hit it very hard – it is a ball joint splitter BTW
    Drill it works as the alloy is much softer than the BB but the BB may still not survive
    You can just cut through the BB spindle but this then means you need a new BB

foxyrider
    Free Member

You can just cut through the BB spindle

Have you ever done that ? I tried and gave up – its toughened steel – you won’t do it with a hacksaw! Just wack it with a wedge of metal of sorts – i.e. wall chisel?

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I’d go for the heating/expansion approach first. Try using a ciggy lighter until it’s really hot. Then tap a chisel between the BB and the crank.

Junkyard
    Free Member

saw beginners mistake 9 inch angle grinder 8)

orangeboy
    Free Member

Ball joint spliter every time. Should not take more than 30seconds

billyboy
    Free Member

Go with Legend and orangeboy………. ball joint tool…. Halfords should have then for £10ish……… failing that a lot of bike shops will probably have them in the workshop.

It will help to soak it in plusgas overnight before you attack it.

Highland28
    Free Member

Cheers lads,

I will give it a bash heating it up first and if that fails will either take it to my lbs for the use of a ball joint tool or go buy one 🙂 its hallowtech cranks i have now got so it doesnt matter if the bb is wrecked either as it will be replaced.

Thanks

legend
    Free Member

It will help to soak it in plusgas overnight before you attack it.

can you still get plusgas? I haven’t seen it in ages

Edric64
    Free Member

Angle grinder does the job in quick time!!

schmiken

Easiest way if you don’t mind ruining them is to simply stick them on without bolts in and ride the bike. Should come off before too long (ruined – I’ll add the disclaimer here!) It’ll trash the square edges but it’ll work.

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

Gear/flywheel puller is the easiest thing to use

You can find them at boot fairs for buttons

zbonty

I’d avoid all the above heavy handed techniques if i did’nt want to damage any parts/paint.

Just put the drive side back on and ride up and down the road a bit, off a few kerbs, generally bouncing/flexing the cranks and the stuck one will soon loosen off.

Or use a puller if you can find/borrow one as SteveAustin says

Northwind

zbonty – Member

“Just put the drive side back on and ride up and down the road a bit, off a few kerbs, generally bouncing/flexing the cranks and the stuck one will soon loosen off.”

That’s what I’d do too. Doesn’t take long for a crank arm to drop off if you forget to tighten it after all. Though of course the law of sod would apply there

Orange-Crush
    Free Member

I didn’t believe the “undo the bolt and ride it” dodge but tried it once and it worked. Of course you don’t have to remove the bolt completely. Slacken it off a bit then pedal carefully and you won’t ruin the taper.

Highland28
    Free Member

Sorted cheers guys. Rode around for a hour or so today, then at the point I thought they were never goin to fall off the unexpected happened 🙂 now just need to try and get the bb out 😕

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

schmiken – Member
    Easiest way if you don’t mind ruining them is to simply stick them on without bolts in and ride the bike. Should come off before too long (ruined – I’ll add the disclaimer here!) It’ll trash the square edges but it’ll work.

Works wonders, anyone who can’t remove cranks without tools hasn’t tried hard enough.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Help with crank removal’ is closed to new replies.