Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Help with caravan gas
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Due to a long series of cock-ups I am having to fit a German regulator to the ‘van so I can use a German gas bottle. Of course, their fittings are all different. The chap in the shop sold me a flexible hose to connect the regulator and the metal pipe for the plumbing, but it goes onto an 8mm pipe and mine look like 9mm.

However the original flexible hose was fixed onto its fitting with a jubilee clip so I reckon I can put the old UK fitting onto the German pipe. The old fitting clamped around a copper collar/olive thing on the pipe.

However whilst trying (unsuccessfully) to remove it to see if the German fitting would go on, I scratched it up and I peeled off the old PTFE tape. Now if I do it back up again, it leaks.

I have more PTFE tape – how good is this stuff at stopping leaks? Is there any way of guaranteeing that there are no leaks? I don’t seem to be able to find any gas plumbing supplies here at all, I suspect it’s only sold to registered tradesmen. Can I just put water on it and watch for bubbles or what?

And yes I know I should get someone to fix it properly but there simply is not time! I need to either fix it so it doesn’t leak and gas us in our sleep, or go without cooking and refrigeration.

geoffj

Bodge it. Turn off at reg when you are not cooking. Switch fridge to use leccy at night.

Next

molgrips
    Free Member

Good call, I’ll be on sites with leccy.

Top stuff 🙂

uplink
    Free Member

Now it’s going back a few years since I was running around the continent but we definitely had an adapter to convert back and forth

can’t help with the bodge but is there anything here to help you
    http://www.gaslow.co.uk/pages/products/list_3.htm

molgrips
    Free Member

Did get sold a set of adapters from the local place, they were for German vans to use European bottles, not the other way round unfortunately. Should’ve ordered the right adapter from the UK earlier but it’s too late now.

What I really should’ve done was come with two full UK bottles mind, as I am now going to be bringing a German bottle back which is useless. Or failing that I should’ve got a Camping Gaz adapter and bottle which are Euro wide.. although the guy didn’t want to sell me that and I couldn’t understand his explanation as to why.

woodsman
    Free Member

Eat less fibre 😀

Junkyard
    Free Member

if you want to e-mail me some pics I can talk you through fixing it as I sdont realy understand your description tbh
    Bets bet get some rubber hose that is slightly to big and clamp the hell out of it with jubilee clips or slightly to small then heat it in boiling water to make it fit
    PTFE works but only seals minor leaks – you can get away without using it but best not to IMHO.

supertramp
    Free Member

I’m a bit confused too – photos please!

Junkyard’s advice is spot on, only thing to add is that checking for leaks is best done with washing up liquid and water, just slosh some over the joint and watch for bubbles.

Junkyard
    Free Member

i was hoping he would try a match 😉

totalshell

two types of ptfe.. the normal stuff white tape in a white case is NOT gas tight. you want the white tape in a yellow case.. but do as above only have the gas on for cooking run everything else on leccy.

spooky_b329

Make sure the gas locker has unrestricted dropout holes in the floor and is airtight to the interior of the van and you’ll be OK with it on for short periods.

Don’t use CampingGaz, tiny bottles and expensive.

If you are using a fair amount of gas, consider getting a single bottle gaslow system. Expensive up front but you just top up the bottle with LPG at petrol stations which is cheaper, you can move the system to your next van, and you only need one bottle as you can refill it rather than wait til you run out. You should fit a filling point to the gas locker door as UK petrol stations get upset if they see you with a gas bottle on the forecourt (even though its a perfectly legal and safe system) as they are used to travellers using dangerous adaptors to refill (and overfill) standard propane cylinders.

supertramp
    Free Member

Junkyard – i’ve seen it done!

molgrips
    Free Member

Right, didn’t see all this info earlier.

Fortunately I happen to have selected PTFE tape in a yellow container. I lathered it all on the original metal pipe fitting and it seems to be holding – I can’t smell gas after 20 mins in the closed locker.

The gas might be different tho – the hob burners won’t stay lit on the lowest setting any more. Not that it matters of course currently.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Help with caravan gas’ is closed to new replies.