Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Help with budget wheel choice xm317?
  • dannybee
    Free Member

Wanting to stick some better wheels on my ride, I have only ever ridden cheap unbranded bike shop wheels which have lasted me ages but as im getting faster and riding more challenging places mainly xc i was thinking about some Mavic XM317 Wheels with Deore hubs?

Seen them for 110 are they a decent upgrade from cheapo wheels or is there anything else better in this price range?

Cheers for any help 🙂

663sqd
    Free Member

Get some ztr crests. . Hope pro 2 or 3 hubs, and run with tubeless tyres, racing Ralph’s or something similar if your just riding xc stuff. . If trail centres and heavier stuff get ztr flows with say some lust tyres. . eBay and here good place to look for 2nd hand sets.. Expect to pay up to £200 for second hand set in good nik . . Or nearer to £400 for brand new

Or vist just riding along website for wheel build options. .

Before you buy make sure your weight is suited to the rims you purchase. .

stevied
    Free Member

These look like a good deal: http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/wheels/mountain-bike-wheels/factory-mountain-bike-wheels/shimano-mt65-wheels-26-pair.html
    I am considering a pair for my new XC build. UST ready, fairly light etc..

perthmtb
    Free Member

+1 for the Shimano MT65 wheelset. Got a pair a few months back and have been very pleased – like them more than the XT on my other bike! They’re a real bargain at the mo cos Shimano have just released their successor, the MT66, but IMHO the MT65 are actually a better wheel because they have proper sealed UST rims like the XT/XTR, versus the cheaper system on the MT66 which relies on spoke hole plugs, rim strips and goo to seal the rims.

By the way, I bought mine here and they seem to be a bit cheaper still… http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/k735/a86075/wh-mt65-mtb-15-mm-e-thru-disc-wheelset-centerlock.html

Dickyboy

another +1 for the mt65 wheelset, I bought a set of the 15mm from bike discount, but Merlin are doing a deal with wheelset & brakes @ £200 I believe.

wilko1999
    Free Member

Good option on StevieD’s link. They even cradle your balls apparently, ideal for those really steep rocky descents 😀

dannybee
    Free Member

Hmm might be able to stretch to the mt65’s if i keep my tyres a bit longer, The hope hoops are out of budget.

Does anyone know if the MT65 from merlin are the 6 bolt disc version (pics look like they are) as they say centrelock on the bike-discount site.

My current tyres are 2 bliss tubeless ready specialized ones would i be able to run these tubeless on these rims with stans or would i have to wait till i got ust tyres?

Loads of questions i know 😳

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Another option could be the Shimano MT55. Not sure how much they are these days but I paid about £80 for a set a couple of years back and was hugely impressed with them. They were centrelock only but adaptors were only £15 from Superstar and you even get decent Shimano QRs with them. Not tubeless or anything but if you’re not bothered about going tubeless then its not an issue…

Bargain!

perthmtb
    Free Member

Yes the Merlin ones are 6-bolt, and QR + QR. Bike-discount offer 6-bolt or centrelock, QR or 15mm thru axle versions. Make sure you order the right ones for your bike!

With proper UST rims you can run normal tyres, tubeless ready, and UST. If running tubeless ready or UST you don’t need rim strips or goo to seal, but its still worth using goo for puncture protection.

Dickyboy

err Tubeless ready tyres will require goo, just no rim strips with the UST rims

also the MT65’s come with non removable valve cores, if you do go tubeless it might be worth getting some valves with removable cores

perthmtb
    Free Member

“err Tubeless ready tyres will require goo, just no rim strips with the UST rims”

Yes, my mistake!

Wally

Buy my hope pro 2 on 717’s £150 posted. Quality stuff.
    See classifieds under “wally”
    I ran them tubeless with tape I can include and cut down threaded valve Oh and “goo “JRA wheel milk.

dannybee
    Free Member

Just ordered the MT65’s Cheers people 😀

Wally your wheels were in demand well before i had seen your post

perthmtb
    Free Member

They’re good wheels, I don’t think you’ll regret it!

By the way, they use Shimano proprietary straight pull spokes, and evey Shimano wheel has a slightly different version of the spoke (length, diameter, colour of nipple), so they can be a pain to get hold of because nobody carries stock.

Not that I’m expecting them to break, but if you’re like me and like to be prepared, might be worth picking up some spares now.

Theoretically, any LBS with a Madison account should be able to order some in for you, but I’ve heard stories of it taking months and charging about ten quid a spoke, so I got mine here when I was ordering some other stuff.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Help with budget wheel choice xm317?’ is closed to new replies.