Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Help with British driving licence – expired in November – Will i get a fine ???
  • doodlebug
    Free Member

My licence expired in November, i got a reminder in September, but i completely forgot to renew it. Now some two months late, do i just fill in the reminder and play stum, or do i ring them up and mention i never received the reminder and just noticed ??
    On the letter it mentions a 1k fine 😳

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

See that hot place down below?

That’s where you’re going….

Have you bin driving during this period you’ve not had a valid licence for?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

No, you won’t be fined.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    br
    Free Member

Just fill in the form and hope.

Mine recently expired, but I said the I’d lost the originals so I could ensure that I got the same entitlment on the new one – there were issues previously with people ‘loosing’ theirs.

coffeeking
    Free Member

I suspect they’ll only fine people in extreme circumstances, I’d say you sent the forms off and forgot about it and have only just realised you’ve not got it back, then ask for lost license forms. I’m not about trying to get away with being wrong, but the fine seems somewhat steep for the “crime”, just because they think you’ll have changed significantly in 10 years, moreso than you could do with a razor and haircut in 5 minutes.

Cougar

there were issues previously with people ‘loosing’ theirs.

Nothing worse than a tight licence.

That reminds me actually; mine’s due for renewal. They demand I renew it, and have the gall to charge me for a new one. Licence to print money is what it is, they should be paying me expenses.

restless
    Free Member

Mine was a year overdue its renewal.
    I didn’t get a fine or even a reminder, just forgot about it.

doodlebug
    Free Member

Big thanks, you have put my mind at rest, i’ll sort it out tomorrow, honest 😉
    At least i have a driving licence, unlike a few others on our roads …..

druidh
    Free Member

doodlebug – Member
    At least i had a driving licence, unlike a few others on our roads …..

FTFY

coffeeking
    Free Member

In this day and age I’m surprised they can’t just use a digitally uploaded photo.

ste_t
    Free Member

I only realised mine had expired 18 months prior when I got caught speeding. A quick trip to the post office and I had a shiny new licence in the post 3 days later. With the correct address on. Hence never getting a reminder.

Then replied to the speeding ticket.

randomjeremy
    Free Member

Date the cheque and form September 2011 and post it

fourbanger
    Free Member

Your license doesn’t expire, just the photocard. No fine to pay, just send it.

wwaswas

Your license doesn’t expire, just the photocard.

I haven’t got round to getting one of those new fangled photo card licences yet – is it tricky?

joao3v16
    Free Member

I haven’t got round to getting one of those new fangled photo card licences yet – is it tricky?

Nothing’s ever tricky when a govt dept wants to extract money from you 🙂

Nobby

Larger Post Office branches have the facility to do the whole thing on site – photo, electronic signature etc. Took about 5 minutes.

allthepies
    Free Member

I’ll stick with my old skool paper licence for as long as possible, expires in 2036 🙂

Cougar

In this day and age I’m surprised they can’t just use a digitally uploaded photo.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/Motoringtransactions/BeforeyouapplyC/DG_193809

They can use the one on your passport, should you have such a thing. (Though, if you originally applied for both at around the same time, I don’t see how that helps them if you’re replacing a 10yo driving licence photo with a 10yo passport photo…)

rickmeister

Stick with the old style as long as possible.. photo cards only last for 10 years and you have to pay each time its renewed, crafty money for not a lot from DVLA/HRMC… Kicked up a fuss a few years agon on the first 10 year aniversary after photo licences came in and the “expiry date” sneaked in on the card without folk spotting it at first.

I was stopped by police and my licence was out of date, the police national computer didn’t have the expiry info of that particular licence (except when it ends in 2032 or something). They weren’t even bothered by the date thing. The class entitlement was correct, the address was correct, the picture was correct… just the date was out.

The only person that can disqualify you from driving surely is a court of law…

I think you will be fine, not fined…

I wish I had kept my paper licence, we are not obliged by law to carry it and the photo card doesnt seem to have any other advantage other than data for the DVLA to lose and a 10 year guaranteed renewal fee for HMRC.

rickmeister

Stick with the old style as long as possible.. photo cards only last for 10 years and you have to pay each time its renewed, crafty money for not a lot from DVLA/HRMC… Kicked up a fuss a few years agon on the first 10 year aniversary after photo licences came in and the “expiry date” sneaked in on the card without folk spotting it at first.

I was stopped by police and my licence was out of date, the police national computer didn’t have the expiry info of that particular licence (except when it ends in 2032 or something). They weren’t even bothered by the date thing. The class entitlement was correct, the address was correct, the picture was correct… just the date was out.

The only person that can disqualify you from driving surely is a court of law…

I think you will be fine, not fined…

I wish I had kept my paper licence, we are not obliged by law to carry it and the photo card doesnt seem to have any other advantage other than data for the DVLA to lose and a 10 year guaranteed renewal fee for HMRC.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Whats really anoying is I’ve just taken my Cat. A (motorbike) test, and they issued me a new licence, which expires in 6 months time!

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Help with British driving licence – expired in November – Will i get a fine ???’ is closed to new replies.