Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Help with Autumn/Winter jacket and such like
  • emmodd
    Free Member

I’m hoping for some help with choosing some clothing, spefically to wear on my top half.

I’ve numerous base layers and a couple of waterproof jackets but am after something to wear as an outer layer when cold and dry or if wet and cold, then under a waterproof. Preferably, it needs to be wind proof and offer some level of insulation (so not simply an outer shell). Does anyone have any experience with such things they might be prepared to recommend? I’ve seen the Gore Alp-X stuff and Mavic seem to do some things along those lines too.

Thanks in advance.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

A softshell or windproof fleece should fit the bill, but they aren’t that warm compared to a regular fleece. You’d almost be better off wearing a fleece and windproof gilet and taking a waterproof for use should the heavens leak.

emmodd
    Free Member

I was hoping there might be something out there which had a soft shell with fleece or similar lining with a fitted cut.

mrmo
    Free Member

have a look at the Assos airjack/block/fugu jackets?

Other companies do make similar, for the record i have a 5-6 year old Assos jacket that gets used on a daily basis during the winter. when cold i wear a merino base underneath.

footflaps

Gore Bike Windstopper jacket. I have one which is years old, but still works great and I use it all the time in winter.

singlespeeddan
    Free Member

Rab vapour rise would get my vote but one of the lite ones. If you get cold the ordinary weight ones are good but make sure you try them on.

bigbloke
    Free Member

I bought a Berghaus Softshell last year from Go Outdoors it is cut with an active fit so fits well, is warm and wind resistant. Did me for winter and on warmer days used just a windshell.

It was only £60 or roundabout that making it much cheaper than a “cycling” jacket.

To be honest i wear Berghaus activity short sleeved tops etc rather than bike specific kit as its just so much better value (and quite often better quality).

Anyhow here it is……..

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/berghaus-ardennes-softshell-jacket-p190340

Stuey01
    Free Member

Is this for use on the bike?

Gore Phantom II jacket here. It’s windstopper, water resistant (not proof), zip off arms. Lovely jubbly.

Got an Endura Stealth too but way prefer the Gore, unless it’s absolutely cats and dogs.

cuberider
    Free Member

+1 for the Gore Phantom II – my review: http://bikemagic.com/gear/reviews/gore-bike-wear-phantom-ii-windstopper-jacket-review.html

Alp X Zip Off Jacket also very good but not as warm – perhaps a little more waterproof…

transapp
    Free Member

I got a brilliant Helly Hansen top, I’ll try to find it.

Edit, this is the monkey. Not sure if still current

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/clothing/jerseys/product/review-helly-hansen-stripe-half-zip-riding-top-28729

footflaps

Gore Phantom II jacket +1

Kryton57

I’m just going through this. Ideally I’d get a high viz Gore Phantom for road riding, but there are non left at sale price in my size. I’ve a grey one for MTB and it’s ace.

My decision then lies with an Altura Night Vision wind proof. Hasn’t got zip off sleeves but is very visible and has lots of roadie-esque pockets, and is £55. They do other colours to.

shedbrewed
    Free Member
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Help with Autumn/Winter jacket and such like’ is closed to new replies.