• This topic has 10 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Ewan.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Help with audio books?
  • santacruzsi
    Free Member

Hi folks

Does anyone use these?
    One of my friends isn’t at all well with cancer and used to love reading his military history books, however with the various meds he’s on ( morphine stuff ) he suffers bad headaches and can’t concentrate on reading a book.

His situation unfortunately won’t improve, but thinking I could maybe get him some sort of audio book player so he can keep entertained – Something simple to use that maybe you can load books up via wifi for example? Open to ideas / suggestions / links etc.

Thanks

jekkyl

Any device that can play audio files will do, ipod, tablet, phone etc. I listen to Audio books all the time….do you have a specific question?

Caher

Audible with maybe an Amazon for or echo.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    santacruzsi
    Free Member

Jekyll – thanks , just wasn’t sure if there was a particular purpose built ‘ player’ that would be best, but he has an iPad so I will try that . Any particular apps? iTunes? Cheers

CraigW
    Free Member

Check what’s available from your local library. A lot of them are signed up for Overdrive or similar, which would let you download audiobooks for free.

santacruzsi
    Free Member

Ok great thanks .

andytheadequate
    Free Member

I can’t recommend audible enough, there’s a ridiculous amount of choice on there.

jekkyl

The whole of Game of Thrones is available. Lord of the rings, all the discworld, Harry Potter, all Stephen King, tons of comedy!

wukfit
    Free Member

I love audio books,
    tend to subscribe to audible when it’s on offer, maybe buy one more, try to leave and they offer another good deal
    My old housemate used Overdrive (I didn’t have a library card and cba to get one) it was a little surreal as you had to reserve them and wait if they were popular

bigh
    Free Member

Just a word of warning, not all mp3 players work with audible. There may be a workaround now but sony players used to be no use at all.

Ewan
    Free Member

I use audible – very good. However the selection you get in the states is significantly larger. You can get a US account with some cunning use of a VPN (you don’t need a US credit card or address).

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Help with audio books?’ is closed to new replies.