Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Help with an e type mech please
  • joepalermo
    Free Member

Just bought an e-type shimano xt mech to be fitted on a 73mm BB shell (Sott Scale). According to instructions in the box I don't need to fit any spacers but in doing so the granny chainring is too close to BB mech plate for the chain to run freely. What I'm doing wrong?

BluePalomino
    Free Member

is it a specific e-type BB? what BB is it?

joepalermo
    Free Member

It's the BB (SMBB70) that comes with the current Shimano XT chainset(FCM770).

paulosoxo
    Free Member

You havent got the little allen key height adjuster thing in the wrong place have you?

joepalermo
    Free Member

I have followed the instructions and the height cannot be changed at all because there is a bolt that matches a bore on the frame and the plate on the mech goes into the external BB which act as a spacer as well. Its the space left between the plate and the smallest chainring that causes the problem.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

there's an aluminium block that you flip to alter the height

joepalermo
    Free Member

Forgive my stupidity, but could you describe where the block is and what is needed to increase clearence between small chainring and mech plate? Sorry about this but first e-type mech for me.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

If I remember right, and it's years since I used E-Type, it's on the back of the mech where it mounts onto the BB shell mount, just wiondering if it's set too high and causing the mech to rub, other than that, I'd stick a spacer in between the mech and the bb shell

joepalermo
    Free Member

I had a good look where you said, but nothing there. Probably they have changed the design over the years and no mention on the instructions. Tomorrow I'll try a spacer and see how it goes. Many thanks for your help Paulosoxo.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

left hand allen bolt on that one, looks like it's a slide, some have a block, possibly the new ones don't have any, which would be odd, as you'd be stuck using only one sized big ring

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Help with an e type mech please’ is closed to new replies.