Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Help with 1×9 and On One chainring please
  • mlpinto
    Free Member

Hi,

I think the heat is getting to me and I need some ideas please.

I run a 1×9 set-up on my hardtail and have just replaced my worn out shimano 32t ring with a new On One stainless singlering specific 32t ring.

The new ring has nice deep teeth that look like they will hold the chain well. The chain is a SRAM PC971 and the cassette is a 9sp SLX (both unchanged).

The problem is that my chain is now slack around the front of the new chain ring – the chain sits well on the teeth at the top and bottom of the ring but is loose around the front.

It kind of looks like the teeth don’t match the spacing of the chain so as a result there is a lot of noise when pedalling as the chain jumps with each turn of the cranks.

Hope this makes sense – I can post pics if that helps…

Can anyone give me some pointers for a fix please?

Cheers!

allthepies
    Free Member

New or old chain ? (the problem sounds like you’ve left a worn chain on with a new chainring)

brant
    Free Member

Your chain is worn.
    Those rings should work fine. I’m running mine 1×10 actually.

mlpinto
    Free Member

Cheers guys,

Yes I popped the old chain on, but have a new one so will swap that out and will see.

Appreciate the quick tips!

allthepies
    Free Member

Ditto here.

Sum
    Free Member

Yes I popped the old chain on, but have a new one so will swap that out and will see.

You may find the new chain will skip on the old cassette. You may have to replace that as well.

mlpinto
    Free Member

Cheers Sum,

Yes – I have one to hand if I need to do that too – I admit I was just trying a bit of a bodge so I could get out for a pedal 🙂

mlpinto
    Free Member

Hi again,

Just a quick update to say thanks for the tips – all sorted with the addition of the new chain and cassette.

Cheers!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Help with 1×9 and On One chainring please’ is closed to new replies.