Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Help with 1×10 Mech purchase please?
  • grtdkad

I have an existing Middleburn UNO 32T crank and am considering a 1×10 set up with an Shimano XT 10speed 11-36 Cassette and Derailleur.
    I ride mainly XC on a HT and I am looking for a reliable, low faff set up…

– Any ideas what spec XT mech I should order to best accommodate the 1×10 running & whether I am likely to need a chain device as well to avoid losing the chain?

– Will the Uno cope with a 10 speed chain?

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

Im running 1×10 on my Cotic Solaris – when it arrives.

I bought a Sram X9 short cage mech for use on a 34T chainring / 11-36T cassette.

I have a Paul’s chain keeper to ‘keep’ things in place and hoping this will work ok! 😆

( Previous research on tinterweb suggested it will )

chiefgrooveguru

A tip from my LBS was that med cage mechs don’t clog as badly in mud as short cage ones. If you have a bashring then an N-Gear Jump Stop is an effective inner guide. Your current chainring will be fine. 32t Hope to SLX 11-36 with X9 med cage mech & shifter, plus jump stop & bash on AM-style Soul – works great.

34t 11-36 on a 29er will require some strong legs / low mass for the big climbs!

Rickos
    Free Member

Is it a pukka Uno chainring? The one that doesn’t need the spider? If it is then those rings are/used to be too wide for a 10 speed chain. Check that. You may need to buy a spider and a normal Middleburn 32 tooth ring.

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

34t 11-36 on a 29er will require some strong legs / low mass for the big climbs!

Nae bother to me matey, legs are plenty storng enough!

😉

grtdkad

[/quote]Is it a pukka Uno chainring?

hmm, think so… the Chainring says UNO 32

Forgot to mention – re the original question this is a 26″ set up though as it happens by quads look just like that ^^^

oxym0r0n

Running 32×11-32 on my Solaris and it’s been fine so far – just need to get out the saddle for the steep bits 🙂

chiefgrooveguru

Is the UNO ring SS only, not even 9 speed compatible? 9 vs 10 difference is the outer width, inside of chain width is the same.

allthepies
    Free Member

Didn’t think the UNO chainline worked with a non-singlespeed rear ?

(I’m looking to setup a 1×10 bike and considered UNO but don’t think it’s an option due to the chainline).

grtdkad

Is the UNO ring SS only, not even 9 speed compatible?

..don’t know? ! ? !

grtdkad

OK … may need to rethink!

shortcut

2013 XT short or medium cage rear mech.

pleaderwilliams
    Free Member

Short or Medium cage, ShadowPlus mech. XT or SLX depending on budget. If you go ShadowPlus you’ll get away with just a guide on top, and possibly get away with no chain device at all.

PaulD
    Free Member

New Shimano Zee rear clutch-mech with short cage?

Just looked at Middleburn website and found they claim all their rings work with 8 and 9-speed chains and should give a 50mm chainline with the correct BB. I was sure I had seen Uno rings for 1/8th chains…must have been discontinued/hallucinations again.

PaulD

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

The only short cage mech’s Shimano do are the Saint & Zee. SLX/XT/XTR etc only come in a long & medium (which is still huge).

Officially the short cages only work up to a 34T rear cassette, I had read they have used them on a 36T, just don’t guarantee it to work. I took the gamble & went with the short & it works fine (new Saint).

Other thing is getting hold of them at the moment.

Rickos
    Free Member

Just looked at Middleburn website and found they claim all their rings work with 8 and 9-speed chains and should give a 50mm chainline with the correct BB. I was sure I had seen Uno rings for 1/8th chains…must have been discontinued/hallucinations again.

Yeah, but Uno rings are no longer listed, so I’m still none the wiser. I was certain Uno rings were for wide SS chains only.

PaulD
    Free Member

CRC have both Uno ring sizes in stock…I was right.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=7066

PaulD

chakaping
    Free Member

I’ve been waiting for the new medium cage SLX or XT Shadow+ mechs to get in stock at Bike Discount.de so I can add it to my order for some tyres there.

Another week or so until the XT they say, but the Zee short cage version is available on there (or was it bikecomponents.de?) now.

Just in case that helps.

grtdkad

So, I’m thinking a medium cage XT Shadow+ on the 11-36

I just need to confirm that the UNO will work with this set up, it doesn’t ‘feel’ any thicker than a regular chainring. It states “3/32” on the ring.

Nipper99
    Free Member

I run an Uno 1×10 (11/36) on both my 26″ and 29er and it works with no problems – xt med mech on both as well. 3/32 Uno.

Mister-P
    Free Member

New 10 speed Saint and Zee are both rated to 36T.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

New 10 speed Saint and Zee are both rated to 36T.

Saint isn’t. It’s rated to 34T (officially).

Zee is either 28 or 36, but you need to order the right one (2 different product codes).

grtdkad

Brilliant thanks all!

Nipper, cheers for that confirmation too. Do you have any retaining device on the Uno or does the mech keep it all neat & tidy?

Nipper99
    Free Member

I have a Pauls chainkeeper on the 26 which is a Kinesis Versa and nothing on the Gryphon without much of a problem.

allthepies
    Free Member

I’d still be wary of the UNO chainline on 1×10.

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=16566393

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Help with 1×10 Mech purchase please?’ is closed to new replies.