Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Help – Why do Rockshox not supply user manuals???
  • nemtbroutes
    Free Member

I have a new bike that came equipped with Rockshox Pike and Monarch suspension components. Thing is the bike did not come with any Rockshox manuals.

When you check the SRAM web site the only manuals are the service manuals. I can’t seem to find any user manuals that explain basic operation of the knobs and dials or suggested suspension tuning settings (e.g. air volume).

Where are beginners supposed to start without this basic information, am I missing something? We’re not all bike mechanic gods.

Cheers

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I’m guessing the bike did come with manuals but you weren’t given them…..

nickdavies

Set everything to its middle position, then you need to set the sag which is how much the fork compresses under load. Get all your riding kit on then resting the bike against something gently get on and put all your weight on it in a normal riding position. Fork and shock should be marked with percentages on the side, get off and you should see what percent sag you are currently at as the ring on them will stop at the sag marker. Add or remove air to get to around 25-30 percent sag as a starting point. Then ride and play with everything to see how it changes. Forks should have an air guideline on the side to give you an idea of psi for your weight but frames all behave to differently to put any advice on the shock. Get on and off gently when setting sag as if you jolt too much you’ll push the sag marker ring further into the travel and give a bad reading. Do the fork and shock separately.

There’s virtually nothing from sram on setup, the manuals are only tech ones as everyone’s bike and style are too different. Once you’ve got everything in a basic set up and you start riding it you’ll feel what you want to change and by making little adjustments you’ll get there and learn how it all works.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    BoardinBob

User manuals are on the sram site. Not just the service ones

https://www.sram.com/service/rockshox/7,581

nemtbroutes
    Free Member

@PeterPoddy – I’ll ask the shop but thing is I did get the manuals for the Reverb.

@BoardinBob – Thanks for the URL but none of those links are user manuals, the only one the titled user manual just tells you how to use the maxle axle.

@Nickdavies – Thanks the for the advice, that’s what I’ve basically done to get started. I have been mountain biking for a few years so did know where to start but I think the lack of basic information is baffling. I’ve only used Fox shocks up until now. I did see an article from a Rockshox employe the other way stating 90% of full suspension bikes are not setup correctly, Not surprising if they don’t supply basic information.

MoreCashThanDash

No one does any more – just rebuilt my bike and none of the shiney XT boxes had any instructions in them.

Neither did the Reba’s.

Did find what I wanted on the websites though

LoCo
    Free Member

Setup guide lines here: http://locotuning.co.uk/tech-info.html to get you started all other stuff can be found on the Rockshox site

shindiggy
    Free Member

Just built a new bike, with everything sram. Nothing came with instructions, from the shifters to forks.

drovercycles
    Free Member

Some useful advice above – especially Loco’s guides – but surely the shop you bought the bike from should be helping you with this stuff. Did they not offer any help/advice?

mactheknife

Its a SRAM thing, can be bloody annoying at times. I just bought a set of MRP Stage forks from my LBS and they came with a comprehensive but easy to follow instruction card.

I like, a lot 🙂

Northwind

There’s so much info on the SRAM site, it can be quite hard to find what you’re looking for but it’s generally there.

Rockshox recommended settings are usually bollocks anyway. They always seem to spec everything for fat middle-aged accountants who want to use all of their 160mms of travel riding down a kerb, so they can feel awesome.

boriselbrus
    Free Member

If you picked up the bike at a shop then I’m surprised they didn’t set it up and explain it all for you. When I do a hand over on a f/s bike I can easily be an hour with the customer getting it set up for them and I’ll write down base line settings and what all the knobs do. Then at six week service time we’ll discuss how it is and make any changes.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Help – Why do Rockshox not supply user manuals???’ is closed to new replies.