Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Help! Why do my drains smell?
  • Harry_the_Spider

Both the bathroom and the en suite drain into the same soil stack ( 2 toilet, 2 sinks, 1 bath, 1 shower). The drains are not running slow but they do gurgle a bit and they can smell, especially after heavy rain. After last nights downpour it stunk like the khazis after a 5 day heavy metal festival.

Is it “blowing back” or air locked somehow?

How do I fix it?

slinkybike
    Free Member

Call a plumber! then moan on here how much tradesman cost.

binners

?

project
    Free Member

There should be u bends on all the internal drain plumbing to stopsnmells coming back up the pipes along with a vent pipe tot he roof, check its not blocked and fliush a load of soapy water down the drain, also lift any access hatches in your garden and check for flow.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

More often than not it seems to be the vent stack (either blocked or non-existent)

wrightyson
    Free Member

Where does it smell?? Actually in the bathroom/ . Also are they at 1st floor level or ground floor?

Harry_the_Spider

Smells are upstairs. Drains were running free when I lifted the man hole a couple of months ago. We’ve tipped all sorts of chemical cleaners/unblockers down them over the past few weeks.

Sounds like the vent stack could be blocked hence the gurging u-bends on the sinks, bath and shower.

How on earth does a vent stack get blocked?

Junkyard
    Free Member

Your nemesis has done it to grind you down?

woody2000

How on earth does a vent stack get blocked?

Leaves, dead bird/rat, windblown rubbish….

Had a big curry night at Chez HTS recently? 🙂

lowey

I’d agree that its probably your vent stack blocked. Is it an external Stack ? A lot of them have bosses or access plates on them just before they disapear underground. Pop that off and get some drain rods from a Hire shop (speedy, hss etc). Give it a good rodding.

However, beware of contamination. Its not pleasant when one clears quickly.

miketually
    Free Member

Why do my drains smell?

Too many vegetarians?

Harry_the_Spider

Why do my drains smell?

Too many vegetarians?

True, but the veggie diet tends to make things fast ‘n’ loose thus avoiding blockages in the first place. Time to get some rods and some long rubber gloves. 😕

globalti
    Free Member

If you’ve got a bidet that you never use in your bathroom the trap has dried out.

Harry_the_Spider

If you’ve got a bidet that you never use in your bathroom the trap has dried out.

I haven’t and it smells in both bathrooms.

ourmaninthenorth

both bathrooms

Ooh, get you Mrs Bucket.

Harry_the_Spider

…and all of our cars have heated wing mirrors.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Help! Why do my drains smell?’ is closed to new replies.