Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)
  • HELP – WHICH STEEL HARDTAIL? SHOW ME!
  • nwill1
    Free Member

Hi, this is my 1st post.

I am new to the world of MTB, I spent 7 years riding a BMX but got a bit old for keep injuring myself going big! After a couple of years off the bike I desperately needed to get riding again.

I didn’t want to spend too much so opted for a budget hardtail (Giant XTC 4.5 £399) in case I didn’t take to 26″. I’ve since been bitten by the bug and wanted to get a bike frame more geared to what I want to ride.

I ride XC and the local trail centre (Cannock Chase), but want a bike that I can also mess around on dabbling with a bit of downhill and jumping. I want a bike that I can really through around and have general fun on.

I’ve already brought some 426 Coil Pikes for the new frame but have not yet decided on the frame, budget is about £300 (but the cheaper the better). It must be a steel hardtail as Ive decided that is the way forward.

My short list is Prince Albert, NS Society, 426 inbred and the new Decade Virtue. Any views advise welcome.

Would also like to see some pics………

Guilliano
    Free Member

No pic, but in that budget I’d go for an On One 456….. just over £200 direct from On One and as the name suggests it’s designed for a 4″, 5″ or 6″ fork. Never known a person that didn’t like the ride

theboatman
    Free Member

I’m sure there will be plenty of folk on here with PA’a and 456’s and they seem to love them. I do like the look of the NS society, probably a bit over built for XC, but I don’t recall there being that much climbing around cannock, and it looks like it will take some hammer.

firestarter
    Free Member

ive just bought a 456 to build and its lovely looks much better than the price tag suggests. Ive not finished building but will post a pic when i do. Ride wise i used to have an inbred i was very happy with so im hoping for much the same 🙂

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

DMR Trailstar sounds perfect for what your after. Its a bit more jump orientated than some of those listed so you might get on with it better after coming from a bmx background. It has a shorter top tube and shorter chainstays than the PA or the 456

pebble
    Free Member

2006 17.5″ Rocky Mountain Blizzard frame (Reynolds 853 disc specific frame with rack mounts) and salsa seat clamp. Immaculate condition £300

Pics available e-mail robin.stones@tesco.net

cove123

2nd hand Cove Handjob!

nwill1
    Free Member

Thanks, my concern is that I dont want to make the mistake of geting something that feels XC and head down. I like going fast but I like a relaxed riding position, I want somethng that is fun that can be thrown around but I can rip through the trail centers/singletrack.

Anybody have an NS Society? Is it XC or is it more relaxed?

nwill1
    Free Member

P.S Any pics?

hicksville
    Free Member

Prince albert or alpine, no PA great all round bikes. Or 456

munkster
    Free Member

Orange P7. Thread closed :-p

Clink

cotic bfe

rOcKeTdOg

MKI though, you’ll only get the best version 2nd hand 😉

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

The version that seems plenty good enough to me 🙄 :

rOcKeTdOg

and red is faster.FACT 😉

brant
    Free Member

Thanks, my concern is that I dont want to make the mistake of geting something that feels XC and head down. I like going fast but I like a relaxed riding position, I want somethng that is fun that can be thrown around but I can rip through the trail centers/singletrack.

You’ll love the new steel model that I’ll have coming for my new brand, but it’s not here for couple of months yet.

Geometry the same as our Ragley Ti model. http://www.shedfire.com/tag/ragley/

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

ns society is more jumpy/hardcore than xc based-here is mine(since this pic I have added pikes as-well):

brant
    Free Member

Yes – those NS’s are very nice bits of kit.

rOcKeTdOg

ther’s a P.A. frame for sale in the classifieds

paule
    Free Member

NS society is vey nice to ride – got one about a month ago…. Feels quite a lot like an XC bike when I wind the pikes down to 100ish mm, and much more jumpy when they’re at 140mm. I currently have a 90mm stem on there which might be why if feels like an XC bike up the hills. Only problem I’ve found with mine is that there’s not a huge amount of tyre room in the back. I think you could fit a 2.4″ in there, but nothing much bigger. I would put a picture up, but photobucket is being silly at the moment.

paule
    Free Member

Got it working – mine is the large size, and looks something like this:

Built up with a fairly robust setup – singletrack rims, LX cranks with single 33t ring, Pike SL u-turn forks, LX brakes, Sunline 711mm wide bars etc. Excellent bike so far…

SteveTheBarbarian
    Free Member

I just love mine -doesn’t meet all your criteria, but a brilliant all round bike. Second choice would’ve been Cove Handjob.

tails
    Free Member
    scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

Love those Trans Ams – beautiful looking bikes.

MrSmith
    Free Member

with a bit of downhill and jumping

Rocky Mountain Blizzard frame (Reynolds 853 disc specific frame with rack mounts)

i don’t think that’s a match made in heaven.

other frames to consider are the dialled alpine and transition trans-am.
    the trans am is a bit heavier and more expensive then the alpine. both nice looking frames that would suit what you want to do, not just overbuilt xc frames

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

you wont go wrong with a PA

Built this up yesterday and more than happy. Came down to a PA or P7 Pro, preferred my own (non Fox) build and, ironically, the orange colour

nwill1
    Free Member

groundskeeperwilly – loving the look of that NS would like to see pic’s with pikes.

Has anybody ridden that Decade Virtue from kenisis yet?

nwill1
    Free Member

agentdagnamit – gotta say thats a hot bike, whats the frame size? I’m about 5’9″ – 5’10” what size would be recommendable?

Jezkidd
    Free Member

I have a large Prince Albert frame for sale if you’re interested?

nwill1
    Free Member

Feel I would need a small or possibly medium.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

DMR trailstar’s are good, but not rely light enough for “XC”, in fact theres loads of jump frames that come in lighter. They are also short, 21.5″ i think, even my BMX has a longer top tube! Fine if your sub 5ft9 ro so, but there’s better out there.

Decade Virtue is made by the same people who make DMR frames (i.m 90% sure) so here’s my switchback, slightly lighter and steeper than PA/456’s bu thats why I bought it. Its slightly too short for me (6gt, short legs), I’d lke a 20mm longer TT and a shorter stem maybe?

nwill1
    Free Member

I’ll have a look, although keen on PA and the NS at the mo.

SilentSparky
    Free Member

PA with Pikes, just built (actually almost built, few little bits still to do):

nwill1
    Free Member

Have you ridden it yet? any sizing advice?

Looks mean, When you ordered how long did it take to arrive?

N.

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

nwill1-where are you based? mail me(in profile) if you are after a few more shots of the NS with Pikes.

jonb
    Free Member

Steal hardtails are much the same, especially if you haven’t ridden on before to compare it to.

I have a 456, chosen mostly on price. Love the frame. It doesn’t feel xc even though I only have 100mm forks on. The angles and wide bars make it feel very much that I’m sat in the bike rather than on it.

Been throwing it around for nearly 2 years now and apart from the paint chips and rubs it’s still holding together well.

Seat up it can tackle long days out in the hills with big climbs.

Seat down (and it goes down to the frame) you can play and jump without risk to your manhood.

Not a very inspiring picture for a build as it was done from an older bike where I just replaced the frame

ken_shields
    Free Member

Sanderson Life

On One Inbred

Voodoo Bizango

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

Steal hardtails are much the same

Nonsense.

nwill1
    Free Member

Donk know how to mail in profile!

I’m Midland based.

dobo
    Free Member

pipedream sirius maybe

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘HELP – WHICH STEEL HARDTAIL? SHOW ME!’ is closed to new replies.