Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Help – which stane?
  • firepoiboy

I might have the opportunity to go up to Scotland for a few days next week with my girlfriend, she has been riding for a while but is not overly confident on tricky stuff, she doesn't like techy climbs but enjoys a bit of flowy singletrack on the way down.

Can anyone recommend which of the 7 Stanes is worth a visit? We did the red at grizedale while at the lake district this summer, its an all the way up, along the top and all the way down kind of ride. Apart from the first 40 minutes of rooty rocky climbing, she surprised herself by how much fun it was.

Living in Malvern I do the Welsh centres as often as possible, is there and easy red or fun blue that we can both enjoy up in the borders?

Thanks

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

If she's quite new to it, Glentress Blue. It's harder than your average blue as it gets no maintenance but it's bloomin' good fun for both beginners and more experienced riders.

firepoiboy

no maintenance

??? but i gues it gets ridden enough to stay fast?

I had a quick look at the route map for glentress, the blue seems to have a choice of two loops, are they both good and is the green skills bit any good?

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

The green skills is basic but good for pointing things out.

I can only see one blue route on this map-

http://www.thehubintheforest.co.uk/Downloads/7stanesglentressinnerleithen.pdf

I've only ever done one. It is still fast and a lot of fun. It's not "blown out" like some low maintenenace trails.

deertrackdoctor
    Free Member

mabie red !

simonralli2
    Free Member

I was thinking Mabie red too – lots of flowy singletrack and the climbs are not that long really.

Diane
    Free Member

Glentress blue:-)

Sqwubbsy
    Free Member

Mabie red if you like the man made feel of trail centres.

Drumlanrig if you want something more natural. No real big climbs but flowing singletrack and a lot less crowded than Glenstress.

andrewh
    Free Member

Inners.
    By far the best, although I've not ridden Ae.
    Red route isn't as scary as the DHs. Lomger than GT though, she'll need a little of stamina, probably over 2hrs.

If on the other side try Drumlanrig (I know, not a Stane, but really good)

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

I was going to say innerleithen too. all the way up and then down thing. I don't recall the climb or descent being toooo technical but I could be wrong. The final section of the descent is rollercoaster style fun.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Help – which stane?’ is closed to new replies.