• This topic has 22 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by ianv.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Help – where in France for a family + biking holiday but not the Alps?
  • swisstony
    Free Member

The last 2 times i steered us to the alps for our family the weather has been naff so i don't think i'll get it past the wife this year.

looking at the ardeche at the mo as a compromise but is there anywhere else that has plenty to do for a young family plus some good stuff for dads days off!

ta

juan
    Free Member

Mayeb I couldbe helpfull but I need to know more about what you want.
    Saying "plenty to do for a young family" means nothing and "plus some good stuff for dads day out" even less.

What do your family likes to do? What kind of biking do you enjoy? What is your budget? For how long you want to stay, when will it be?

You do know France is a big country right…

ianv
    Free Member

Les angles/Matamale pyranees orientale. Been for the last 3 years wicked riding and loads to do for any tastes.

tootin

Luberon is great,

Edukator
    Free Member

Le Tarn. Florac/Quésac if the family like swimming, riding horses, canoeing and the like. Ask in the Florac tourist office for the routes a local VTTiste has put on a map.

swisstony
    Free Member

Hi Juan, yes i know it is quite big.

Well my kids will be 8 and 6 and we'll be taking our bikes so some forest trails type riding, plus walking, swimming lakes or rivers, canoeing, picnics, site seeing etc.

Pour moi, good biking, preferably in an established area as i won't have time to trail find so would like to just turn up and ride, i've been to several alpine 'resorts' so something similar would be great.

We'd like a gite, will be staying for 3 weeks and budget is £500 per week.

swisstony
    Free Member

thanks guys they look nice, should have mentioned i don't really want to go too far south due to the driving but if it's worth it?

Anyone know what the bikings like at Clerment Ferrand, i have been there but not to ride?

Ed2001
    Free Member

If you don' like driving how about getting the ferry to santander and then driving back to the pyrenees.

swisstony
    Free Member

ta, will look into that but always thought it was very expensive, but i suppose if i weigh it up against the fuel and overnight accommodation?

ianv
    Free Member

Near Clerment Ferrand you will be bored for 3 weeks, OK as a stop over but thats it. Been to Lioran and Mont D'or.

It is really worth the extra half day to go to the pyranees. From what you want, Les angles is perfect IMO

juan
    Free Member

forget anything everyone said.
    Check le parc naturel du queyras. I presonnaly recommend le gite de la fruitière in arvieux. If you call them now you will be able to book the family bungalow.
    There is lots of nice and family like trails around. Plenty of farm to visit. A castle, a nice river where you can book some rafting and kayking.
    You are close enough from the ski station so you can get lifts for the bike or can enjoy what a ski station as to offer in summer.

If you are looking for somethign even more tourisity, you can stay in Nice, plent to do and lots of riding around. However you may want to increase your budget.

Stoner
    Free Member

Another vote for Florac and the Tarn. Lovely area to explore with varied geography.
    Some riding pics:

The missus trail running and me walking Jr.

and this is a great campsite (with mobile home and cabin rentals)
    http://www.camping-florac.com/anglais/emplacements.html

Stoner
    Free Member

forget anything everyone said

why?

juan
    Free Member

forget anything everyone said.
    Check le parc naturel du queyras. I presonnaly recommend le gite de la fruitière in arvieux. If you call them now you will be able to book the family bungalow.
    There is lots of nice and family like trails around. Plenty of farm to visit. A castle, a nice river where you can book some rafting and kayking.
    You are close enough from the ski station so you can get lifts for the bike or can enjoy what a ski station as to offer in summer.

If you are looking for somethign even more tourisity, you can stay in Nice, plent to do and lots of riding around. However you may want to increase your budget.

ianv
    Free Member

I presonnaly recommend le gite de la fruitière in arvieux,

is it your mums???

2 things to consider
    The last 2 years have been wet pretty much everywhere other than the south.
    The south coast has been very hot during the same period and the cote d'azure has been the hottest.

The in laws have a place near Perpignan and I was having to force myself to go riding, it was unpleasant and I had to keep going back into the mountains to stay motivated, and it was even hotter further east.

Other suggestions might be the area south of Briancon, or if you want to risk the weather, the Vosge (metabief etc)

mugsys_m8

Isn't metatbief in The Jura?

When you say 'The Alps' do you mean Morzine, Chamonix etc? If so that's the Northern Alps. Southern Alps gets far better weather, Grenoble and South. This includes Juan's Queyras. We had a great time with our 6 month old son camping around La Barcelonette. Great road riding, great hiking etc. But very outdoors based. It might be your familys thing, it might not! 'Beaches' on Serre Poncon reservoir nearby. Around La Barcelontte you're not that far form Provence, but still up high ish. Provence Alpes in fact…

juan
    Free Member

ohh dear some people needs to double check their facts. Anyway.
    Le queyras is south of briançon, and no it's not my mum, just a lovely couple that have accomodate us (us being about 20 mtbers) several times. cheap, cheerfull and with nice food in the evening. It fit the bills about all you asked for. If you have a car I suggest you get a small road trip to jausier and visit "la maison du pays"

imp999
    Free Member

Don't be put off the south by the driving. We have bombed down there a couple of times through the night and, although it's a long way, the roads are very good.
    We pulled in to fuel up at about 3am and the service station was heaving with famillies sitting around taking a break – Fantastic.

I love France, me.

Ambrose

Queyras is pretty good- been there, loved it. And the gorge as a raft trip- wow!

nasher
    Free Member

Hi tony

What about Italy, and in particular Finale Ligure on the Italian Riviera.

Plenty of riding and plenty for the family to do

You can even book into hotels that are specifically catered for kids, so you and the missus can have some time together too.

Prices are much cheaper too.

And Italians love kids they treat them like gods.

Give us a shout if you want any info

scruzer
    Free Member

Provence! We were there last year coinciding with the tour. Guarenteed 99%of summer time good weather, stunning scenary, lots of history, great riding on/off road, loads of wine and lavender,and of course the Ventoux. Its a long drive (if thats ya case) but well worth it. Check out Bedoin and Malaucene…

swisstony
    Free Member

thanks all, i'm working my way through all the suggestions

ianv
    Free Member

"no it's not my mum"

Dont get upset, only joking!

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Help – where in France for a family + biking holiday but not the Alps?’ is closed to new replies.