Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • HELP ! What do I need to get drive side arm / rings off of a Raceface Deus XC
  • bunnerscj
    Free Member

Hi,
    Trying to get my bottom bracket out to check out a little play in there (external type bearings), what do I need to get the drive side crank arm off, thinking some sort of crank extracting tool ?
    Have taken off the cap, removed the 8mm bolt within but am guessing I need to screw in some sort of extractor to pull drive side off axle ?
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?PartnerID=79&ModelID=4939

sc-xc

Put the 8mm back in, and turn the 10mm one – it acts as an extractor

(if it's like the Atlas ones I have)

WBC

An ISIS crank extractor is what you need (The older Race Face cranks had a self extracting bolt)

goldenwonder
    Free Member

Put the crank bolt back in (8mm allen key)
    put back puller cap (10mm allen key)
    Use 8mm allen key through the 10mm hole in the cap & undo, it will pull the crank arm off with it.
    Unless you don't have a seperate puller cap for a 10mm allen key, then you'll need an isis/octalink crank puller

borwens
    Free Member

Put them both back, then reverse the 8mm, as it pushes against the outer 10mm it will feel tight but will come slack an wind out…

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

My raceface cranks do not have the self extractor – just uses a stock crank extractor as you link to

boxelder

If it's an X-type, external bottom bracket, do what Barry B said – bolts back in, then 8mm allen key, through the 10mm hole and unwind. These things are so simple to install and remove, but this question regularly comes up. I know Shimano insist on daft tools, but not these. When re-installing, tighten 'til it 'stops' – you can't overtighten them.

ziggy
    Free Member

Also worth bearing in mind that race face cranks need a fair old bit of force to remove, the recommended tightening force is 50nm!

bunnerscj
    Free Member

done it !
    Thanks everyone, STW never fails 🙄

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘HELP ! What do I need to get drive side arm / rings off of a Raceface Deus XC’ is closed to new replies.