Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Help – uninsured driver damage
  • TheFlyingOx

Some local asshats drove their uninsured car into our front garden wall, which is mostly there to prevent the garden tumbling onto the pavement. The garden has now tumbled onto the pavement. We have a police incident reference number but that's as far as the police are willing to take it, despite having CCTV footage of the car and the incident. The insurance company are playing silly buggers because there's no specific bit in our house deeds saying that the garden belongs to our flat rather than the whole building. However, the rest of the flats in our tenement are adamant that it's our garden and so won't stump up any cash. The council are threatening to come in and do their own job on it, but given that their previous efforts with our building involved simply re-facing 33 sandstone blocks, but took 14 months and apparently cost £124,000, I'm not too keen on having them involved. Quotes to rebuild the wall/garden from local builders are between £600 and £1000, but it doesn't seem fair for me to be paying out for someone else's asshole-ishness.

Any idea who I should be contacting to get this sorted with the least possible fuss and expense?

Ta.

trail_rat
    Free Member

The insurance company are playing silly buggers because there's no specific bit in our house deeds saying that the garden belongs to our flat rather than the whole building. However, the rest of the flats in our tenement are adamant that it's our garden and so won't stump up any cash

so it doesnt say its your garden but they are lumping you with it …. if thats the case tell them you want it written into the deeds of your flat ….

they are disowning it to get out of paying ….

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Firstly you need to check whos responsibility the garden is – your soliciter should be able to sort this ( and it should have been done when you bought it)

Uninsured drivers Bureau (IIRC) pays compensation for insured drives accidents or if you have the cars reg no you could try to sue them

Avoid at all costs having the council do it

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Help – uninsured driver damage’ is closed to new replies.