Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Help! tubeless tyres leaking on impact
  • lewie
    Free Member

after setting up my tubeless ready tyres with the rim tape and sealant, gt them to hold the pressure, went for a half hour ride no probs. turned up to an xc event the nxt day 10min into the practice lap hit a small rut, ther was a small pop and the sealant all squirted out of the rim and tyre went flat. is this common with tubeless wheels that any big impacts and the air leaks? anyway rushed to the car covered in mud and sealant at this point and just managed to get an innertube in just in time for the start. completely blown out before i even started after the 2mile sprint dwn the road to my car. any suggestions why this may have happened or maybe something i could have done wrong wen setting it up.

shortcut

Sounds like it burped out the side.

This is due usually to a heavy side impact combined with fairly soft tyres or a baggy tyre bead. What kit are you running and how much pressure did you have in your tyres?

Taff
    Free Member

You used tubeless before? I had this when I first started and it was because I hadn’t pimped the pressure up enough and got the beads seated. Just because a tyre inflates doesn’t mean it has seated. Wait for the pops. Apologies if you know this already

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    RoterStern
    Free Member

What tyres and rims are you using? Some Tubeless ready tyre/rim combos work better than others.

lewie
    Free Member

Hey im running dt swiss rims on nobby nick tyres, came on my scott scale. Pressure around 25psi. tyre seemed to b seated properly, I may giv it another go and put the pressure up slightly

dantsw13

It may seem seated, but until you hear a loud “pop” the bead of the tyre hasn’t seated into the rim fully. You may need to inflate to 40+psi to get this, then drop to your required pressure.

Also, at 25 psi, you are right on the lower limit of the tyre – I wouldn’t go below 28.

robinlaidlaw
    Free Member

+1 for wait for the pops. I run my tubless tyres at around 25 but they all get pumped up to around 70-80 psi when fitted and left until the beads have popped into place fully on both sides and it’s settled and straight, then they are let down to what I actually want to run them at and stay in place fine without burping.
    Might not be the issue but I’m pretty sure just taking them up to 25psi once won’t seat them properly

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Help! tubeless tyres leaking on impact’ is closed to new replies.