Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Help! – Tubed tyre won't seat correctly on rim, WTF??!
  • no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

26″ Rim WTB Speedisc AM – running Nobby Nic 2.25 on front and a Michellin XC thing 2.1 on rear. Both with correct sized tubes.

Neither tyres will seat correctly on the rim. They’re either high in one spot, or low in others.

The effect is as if the rim were seriously buckled, i.e. the tyre wobbles from side to side on rotation and goes up and down. But there’s nothing wrong at all with the rim. There’s nothing wrong with the rim tape either and the tyres that the wheels originally came with didn’t have this problem.

I’ve fitted gazillions of tyres before, but not to these wheels. I’ve tried to ‘seat’ the bead again and again, but nothing seems to improve things.

Any clues???? 😯

wwaswas

you coudl try upping the pressure to 60 or so and see if that pops them into the right place.

BFITH
    Free Member

What ^^ he said…..keep pumping!!

anjs
    Free Member

Yes common with new tyres on WTB rims. Pump up to 60 psi and pull / work the tyre until it snaps into place

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Okay.. up to 70psi now and it’s helped a bit, but still not brilliant. Keep pumping? Or start riding the bike down some steps…?

>pull / work the tyre until it snaps into place<

This is giving me the sh_ts! 😯 So much pressure, worried the thing’s gonna blow up in my face 😆

Northwind

Inflate, deflate, reinflate- you get to a point where the pressure just sticks the tyre even harder in the wrong place, release it all and it’ll relax a little, should stay more or less where it is but when you reinflate it’ll quite often push onto the rim better.

Speshpaul

Soapy water around your rim sir!

Allows the tyre to move to the right place.

anjs
    Free Member

yes down to 60 Psi and pull. It will make a nice pop when it seats

valleydaddy
    Free Member

have the same problem with Bontranger rims – keep pumping and wait for the crack 😀

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

50/50 fairey liqid and water mix applied liberally to rim before fitting tyre

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Cheers! The putting soapy water around my – ahem – rim, seems to have done the trick! (ish- it’s still only about 95% there..) What an awesome load of faff for just putting a tyre on.. 😯

So I guess I’m compelled to ride around with a little bottle of soapy water in my tool bag forever more now then.. 😕

valleydaddy
    Free Member

thats what we do as a few of us in our group have Bonty rims and it really helps getting the tyre back on after a puncture 😉

My mate just carries washing up liquid in a small bottle and uses a squirt from a camelbak

MikeWW
    Free Member

The WTB rims are hard work. I switched to mavic in the end

Speshpaul

No, your normal lube will do;-)

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Help! – Tubed tyre won't seat correctly on rim, WTF??!’ is closed to new replies.