• This topic has 17 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by iainc.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Help to justify N+1 Cotic Soul
  • phil40
    Free Member

I have an Orange Five which does everything I need in a mountain bike, I love riding it and it is more bike than my limited skill level!

Given that, I still find myself browsing the Cotic website longing for a cotic soul! My voice of reason, sanity and intelligence, otherwise known as my wife has asked the slightly annoying question, why do you need a HT when you have a FS which does everything you need and you love riding………..

Any help? I can think of no logical reason for one, but I still want one! Currently I am stuck with arguing that it is a classic, like my five and I want another classic……not the best of reasons!

dryroasted
    Free Member

people collect ornaments

wiggles
    Free Member

Winter bike, saves money in the long run 😉

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    jambalaya
    Free Member

I think the “logic” is a winter thrash bike to save the Five from the rages of winter. My BFe started off like that and then the spec snowballed 😉

Have you seen the new thru axles ? FWIW I have bid on a couple of 2012 26er Soul frames recently went for £185 and £250. Have enough bits ex forks to make another bike so why not. They are in demand for a reason.

Just do it.

SandCrab

Where do you ride? I frame swapped my 5 for a Soul a couple of years back, for most of my riding it is absolutely perfect.

I’ve got Whyte T130 as well now but that only comes out for the rocky stuff, which is more about my age than the Soul!

Do it, you’ll have 2 fantastic bikes that cover everything you are likely to ride.

Chris

chiefgrooveguru

I think your reasoning is very sound. Two different bikes with overlapping abilities, so they’re both back-ups and alternate choices. I rode a Soul exclusively for a few years before I added a full-sus and though the Soul has moved on I still like having an awesome hardtail and awesome full-sus.

jonnyv
    Free Member

You’ve gotta have Soul (man).

dirtydog
    Free Member

Think they would compliment each other nicely.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

Money saving for the FS bearings is about the only logical reason and therefore the best explanation for your wife.

Because it’s a beautiful steel classic is the least logical but equally persuasive, to me at least.

dukeduvet

Ill post this again after the other full suss to Soul thread.

qwerty
    Free Member

…don’t forget about cyclo cross bikes too!!!!

jambalaya
    Free Member

@duke you are welocme to post that as many times as you like 🙂

chakaping
    Free Member

Because you only have one MTB is reason enough.

Everyone should have at least two, or the first one gets lonely.

dukeduvet

Thanks Jamba, it is one of my few decent bike photos!

OP are you getting a used frame or new? I ask as they have just updated the Soul with a thru axle at the rear and new routing link

Northwind

“It’ll save expense on my other bike” sounds good on paper but if anyone actually analyses your numbers it never makes the slightest bit of sense. Only reason to get another bike is the true reason- it’ll ride differently and you want it.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Northwind, yes we know that but we are trying to help the OP with a rationale to put to his wife 🙂 Truth is getting my BFe meant I rode my Covert much less but many rides whe more enjoyable as I wasn’t dragging an “Alps spec” bike round my xc routes. Clearly I spent more money and now have two bikes to service but at least less frequently.

kayla1
    Free Member

Steel + hardtail. What more reasons do you need? I’ve just bought an extra small Cotic BFe that I didn’t need but wanted because, well, just look at them- they’re gorgeous! I have no idea what I’ll do with it 😆

iainc

rubbish bikes really, not for big hills at all 🙂

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Help to justify N+1 Cotic Soul’ is closed to new replies.