Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • Help to get into classical music.
  • CountZero

I’ve just watched that Saint-Saëns concert right through, I hadn’t realised it was a BBC Proms performance, and bloody hell, I wish I’d been there! I’m quite exhausted just watching it, fantastic performance, and I’m going to have to watch it again through my hifi, my iPad doesn’t have the depth to do the sound justice!
    I’ve got several albums by Caroline Dale, a cellist who often plays with the English Chamber Orchestra, one is The Soul Rests Eternal, another is Such Sweet Thunder, a solo album, and she played cello for the close-up hand detail and for the soundtrack to Hilary and Jackie, the film about Jaqueline DuPret.
    Caroline was BBC Young Musician of the Year some years ago.
    All really worth having.

mefty
    Free Member

Never overlook organ and choral music for majesty and glory and spine tingly moments

Very true, if you are very lucky, you will hear a great organist improvising which is something else.

Gunz
    Free Member

Wow, I was expecting a couple of replies and then a dead thread. Good suggestion to go and see something live, I’ll get hunting.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    TheFlyingOx

Dunno if you’re musical at all, OP, but if you fancy a look at the how as well as the what there are many, many YouTube channels devoted to music theory. I’m currently enjoying Rick Beato’s “Everything Music” channel.
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0scmuNFC-E[/video]

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Interesting

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Got to a concert, and then if you do get into it then you will need a decent hifi – maybe some of the old Ruark transmission line speakers if you can find them.

I can’t get into it, although performances like this show it’s potential :

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uT3SBzmDxGk&list=FLDvuJ8FNiH2DwBxExVatdWA&index=5[/video]

globalti
    Free Member

To appreciate classical music it would help if you had an understanding of the technical background and the historic context. Any of these TV programmes (or books) by Howard Goodall (in my class at school) will improve your appreciation very greatly:

Shamelessly copied from Wikipedia:

Among many programmes, he has presented six award-winning series of television programmes on musical theory & history, filmed by Tiger Aspect and broadcast on Channel 4:

Howard Goodall’s Organworks (1996) – history of the organ

Howard Goodall’s Choirworks (1998) – history of choral music

Howard Goodall’s Big Bangs (2000) – pivotal events in the history of music (also a book, published by Vintage in 2001, ISBN 0-09-928354-9

Howard Goodall’s Great Dates (2002) – important dates in the history of music

Howard Goodall’s 20th Century Greats (2004) – exploring the divergence between classical and popular music in the 20th century

Howard Goodall’s How Music Works (2006) – analysing the fundamental components of music itself.

The Truth About Christmas Carols (2008) – a documentary examining the surprising, and often secret, history of the traditional Christmas carol

Hallelujah! The Story of Handel’s Messiah (2010) – celebrates Handel’s “Messiah” and looks at its origins and modern arrangements
    Broadcast on BBC2.

Howard Goodall’s The Story of Music (2013) – traces the story of music from the ancient world to the modern day. The book accompanying this series has been translated into many languages.

Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band (2017) – a 50th anniversary retrospective of the album’s making and impact, shown on both BBC2 and PBS on 3 June 2017.

martinhutch

Couple for you to try, both really accessible.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6BnM5gvY90[/video]

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgQJVKWiY_E[/video]

Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Help to get into classical music.’ is closed to new replies.