Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Help stop my garage filling with water
  • wwaswas

Right, we have a slight slope towards th garage and whoever tarmacced the drive decided that a .5cm deep hollow in front of the door was good enough.

It copes in light rain but anythign heavy tends to overwhelm it. It drains through a gap between the garage and boundary wall;

which in turn leads to a gap between two walls where it soaks away;

This is the front of the garage;

so, do I fit a proper garage drain kit;

http://www.screwfix.com/p/flodrain-galvanised-garage-pack-of-3/73529#

and get a pipe through to the ‘soakaway’ area.

Or do I just put a strip of wood across the front of the garage behind the door to keep the rain out?

radtothepowerofsik
    Free Member

Jesus wept man, get it cleaned up a bit before posting on here! You’ll be savaged!

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I’d do the right thing and get a drain in there like the one on your link. Hire a concrete cutter for the weekend and away you go. You might also need some cold chisels for fiddly bits in the corners.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    wwaswas

Having posted this picture before so I’ve got the scar tissue to protect me 😉

avdave2

Jesus wept man, get it cleaned up a bit before posting on here! You’ll be savaged

Well it looks like he’s at least cleared up the used needles.

wwaswas

can I cut tarmac/concrete with a diamond blade on an angle grinder?

I’ve got a 115mm one but would be prepared to buy a 230mm one if it woudl do the job better/at all.

andyl
    Free Member

should be fine. It’s not like you have loads to do. I use a wooden batten as a guide to get a straight cut in concrete floors.

I_Ache
    Free Member

What an ugly bike! 😉

wwaswas

s’alright, I sold it and bought a Curtis 😉

I_Ache
    Free Member

I hope you shortened the hoses when you built the Curtis.

wwaswas

😳

[edit] actually the 456 brakes are on this one (still uncut)…

radtothepowerofsik
    Free Member

There’s no hope

z1ppy

Off-hand I’d say the flodrain is your best bet (fill it with pea gravel to stop leaves clogging it up), but is there any chance you have a downpipe (soak away connection) further up the drive you could fit the drain kit to?
    A more direct connection to the drain or soak away, rather than transferring the water to another area to ‘sit’?

I very much doubt a piece of wood will keep the water out.

PS: Impressive back yard scene 😉

wwaswas

the drive is level until the last 2m or so when it slopes down towards the garage so I need the drain as close to the door as possible, I think?

Without digging down and intercepting the sewage pipe (which I think is a no-no for dropping run-off into?) there’s no drains to the front of the hourse that I think I can access – just that small gap between the houses where it currently goes to anyway.

I did sort the bottom of the garden out – the workshop even got a coat of paint. This is turnign into a trawl through my photobucket account a bit, though;

z1ppy

Mmm-ok, our drive slopes all the way down, so all the water runs down it, if we managed to get flodrains in even half way down it would help our situation (water sitting just short of the front door).

Connecting to the sewage is a no-no nowaday I believe, though used to be normal practice (in the 70’s). We had an outside drain to the sewers removed when we extended…booo! We have to rely on the soak away, which soon backs up, very annoying.

Back yard is looking much better there!

Ewan
    Free Member

Re: connect to sewage – assuming the house is older than 1980 or so, how would they know?

stumpyjon

How are they going to know regardless of the age of the house, and it’s not like you’re about to connect a foul pipe to a surface water drain.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Help stop my garage filling with water’ is closed to new replies.