Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • help something nasty in my PC
  • ampthill

My PC (not this one) has picked up something nasty

When i log on windows launches IE full screen. No web page loads as it can’t find the internet

Ctr alt del will allow me to open the task manager which then shuts straight away. Similary shutting IE with a key board doesn’t work as it just reopens

I’ve boosted into safe mode and got all the photos onto a back up drive.

Mcafee won’t run continuous monitoring, turn it on and it just turns off. I’m rerunning a full scan. It hung last time at 99% having found nothing.

I tried a system restore (optimistic) but it hasn’t helped

The PC won’t go ontot the internet as it stands in safe mode

any ideas

mikewsmith
    Free Member

download Microsoft Security essentials burn to cd and try installing it.

Run and pray

z1ppy

Create a bootable anti-virus and malware disc’s…

Microsoft’s
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/what-is-windows-defender-offline
    List of others (I’ve used the Kaspersky one)
    http://www.malwarehelp.org/anti-malware-bootable-rescue-cd-dvd-download.html

unklehomered
    Free Member

Have you another device? can you create a USB linux disc? avg and avast offer linux products that can scan windows partitions and sort them. OS not running in windows means the virus can’t stop them.

ampthill

good ideas

thanks I’ll try those

presumably I could make my usb stick drive into a bootable antivirus disk?

I’m going to give mcafee one last chance to finish…

unklehomered
    Free Member

see if MSE will install.

Yeah any USB can be turned into a bootable, be wary moving it to another PC if it could be ‘infected’

mboy
    Free Member

I’ve downloaded Malwarebytes on another PC before, put the program on a USB stick, booted the infected machine in safe mode, and run Malwarebytes off the USB stick on it.

Worked a treat…

Cougar

Do not install MSE if you already have McAfee installed. They’ll fight.

Download Malwarebytes on another PC, see if you can install it from a USB key.

Cougar

The PC won’t go ontot the internet as it stands in safe mode

Tried “Safe mode with networking”?

ampthill

Looks like malwarebytes has done it. I aborted a scan 7 minutes in as I wanted to check the settings. It askd for reboot, which I did outside saif mode and all was well. Its now running a full scan

Mcafee. Useless as a chocolate fire guide. Was taken over by something. Worse i couldn’t get the chat support to work. As I’m paid up for this its a bit rubbbish. It will come off and MSE instaed

AVG and windows defender didn’t find it

Kapersky kept crashing

thanks for all the help

Drac

How many AV did you have on the system, no wonder they didn’t work.

ampthill

I had one, Mcafee

All the other were run as boot from USB!!

Apart from Malware bytes that I ran from windows safe mode

Drac

Ah Ok.

Might depend what it was then as Malware bytes as name suggestions finds Malware. AV don’t always find these as they take on a different format.

chojin
    Free Member

The best thing you can do is download MSSS (Microsoft standalone system sweeper). Plug in a USB stick an it’ll create a bootable USB stick with the latest virus definitions for you. Do this on a different computer and jobs a goodun’
    Because it bypasses windows altogether and doesn’t need “installing”, it won’t “fight” with any other programs you have installed.

Forget malware bytes, whilst good – it was never intended to be used in lieu of a full AV package.

retro83
    Free Member

Hiren’s Boot CD has various anti-virus type programs on it, seems to work pretty well.

http://www.hiren.info/pages/bootcd

ampthill

Microsoft standalone system sweeper

this has been replaced by windows defender which was useless

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘help something nasty in my PC’ is closed to new replies.