Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Help!!!! Snapped my Achilles Tendon
  • thegman67

Done this on Sunday at Ae forest in plaster if anyone has suffered this kind of injury can u give me some advice and tips how to help with the healing process

mbydmt
    Free Member

I’ve ripped both of my before, an absolute nightmare, I had to take 6 months off sport (I did it doing competitive athletics).
    I went to see a physio, which I would highly recommend, there advice of what I can remember was, foot insole beds for your shoes to allievate the pressure on the area. Use Ibroprofen gel on the area to allieviate pain. And also stand on a step on the stairs with the front ball of your foot resting on the step, hold onto the banister and raise yourself up and down on the ball of your foot so as to stretch the back of the heel, especially prior to sport.
    Obviously most of this applies to once you’re out of plaster but this may be of some help.
    Sorry to hear about your injury, good luck with the healing process.

xcstu
    Free Member

thegman67 – I feel your pain.. completely snapped mine back in 2009 and almost missed a whole year 🙁

Have you had the op to put it back together? Highly recommended if your going to carry on with doing sport etc? (you get a pretty cool scar)

The one biggest thing I was told by quite a few experts was when resting, watching tv, sleeping or even if you go back to work etc to have your foot elevated to help the blood follow! Think it made a massive difference because by the time I started physio they thought I had recovered to well and feared I might damage it and put me back in the boot for a little while longer ;-/

When you get to physio stage really do all the exercise they give you.. they might hurt or feel impossible when you start but again you will have totally muscle wastage and need to get your core strength back and this will aid not damaging it again in the period of you getting back to full strength.

Also if you can afford extra physio to have it massage helps the pain and stiffness 🙂

Oh I kind of cheated by riding on the turbo trainer with the moon boot on (physio did know about that).. good for getting a bit of fitness back but again can be quite painful to do anything on it to start 🙁

Wouldn’t wish it on anyone getting this injury… hang in there and get well soon!

xcstu
    Free Member

forgot to say also posted up on here when I did mine and had some good advice 🙂

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/help-achilles-

you can at least when the moon boot arrives potter on the bike….

dmcnicol
    Free Member

Yikes G, had you not signed up for the megavalanche?

Hope you have a swift recovery mate.

ds3000
    Free Member

I haven’t injured my achilies (yet), however have had time off biking over the last few years with various breaks/bruises/ect – keep the faith, you’ll get back out there! Time to plan new bike builds/source cheap parts/watch youtube vids. I have to agree with the previous posters too, do everything the physios tell you to do, they know what they’re doing.

molgrips
    Free Member

Can you get SPD compatible boots like that?

deluded
    Free Member

Mate, I feel your pain!

On the 1st March I snapped my Achilles playing footie during a lunch break at work. I attributed the pain to a bad calf strain and walked on it for a week before realising that something wasn’t right! I went to hospital and following diagnosis elected for conservative treatment (8 week Achilles cast protocol). My foot was put in the full equinus position (toes pointed down) to enable the tendon to join. After four weeks my cast was taken off and my foot was placed at semi-equinus. I could only manage raising my foot an inch or half or so at that point. After two weeks the cast came off for the final one, which set my foot at 45 degrees. That process brought water to the eyes and smarted somewhat I can tell thee – one of the plaster technicians had to carefully force my foot upwards and hold it at that position so that his colleague could concentrate on putting the cast on! Since that time I’ve been weight bearing and the cast should come off this Thursday.

To answer your question there is not much you can do other than elevate it and rest. Then you must fully engage with physio. I’ve noticed considerable muscle atrophy already – which is depressing.

The photo of xcstu – the mind boggles 😀

I wish you all the best.

Larry.

EDIT – as a matter of interest how did you do it?

Haze

Some useful info here.

Lots of rest (not that there’s much choice) and don’t rush things, there’s plenty of time and you wouldn’t really want to go back to square one after 3 months in plaster.

Mine ended my badminton ‘career’ but the recovery lead to me start riding. So a pretty good outcome!

thegman67

Thanks for all the advice guys asked at the hospital about the operation they told me they usually only do it for people under 40 I’m going to the Docters tomorrow to get a second opinion and I’m going to miss the mega

nicolaf
    Free Member

If you can force it so you get the Op. I had the conservative treatment totally against my wishes, it snapped again, so sewing was the only option then. Thus it was a long and drawn out process.
    Once out the boot see a few physios to get ideas / opinions and make sure you do all the exercises, i still do mine to maintain things.
    I ended up biking as a result too.
    My once wasted calf is now significantly sturdy relative to the other one too.

thegman67

deluded I was doing the road gap jump on the shredder at Forest Ae it was the second time and as I landed my left foot snapped back so I can only think that my foot wasn’t positioned correctedly I’m know going back to clips with the cage round them

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Help!!!! Snapped my Achilles Tendon’ is closed to new replies.