Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Help! SLX Triple to double conversion
  • Scapegoat

Right, am I onto a complete loser here?

I have a FC M660 SLX triple chainset. I want to run 2×9, so I sourced a 36t middle ring and an SLX bash, only to discover, as no doubt so many have, that the spiders are different, so the bashguard doesn’t fit the triple spider.

So, I got hold of an E-thirteen turbocharger bash, which does fit the spider. It comes with nice long bolts….. too long, as they are about 4mm too long to cinch up the ring, spider and bashguard. I tried the original but they are about 5mm too short.

So, has anyone out there successfully converted a triple to a double, or am I wasting my time? What do I need to know, where can I source some bolts that are the right length?

singlespeedstu

SLX triple with E13 bash on here.

You are using the bolts, washers and back nuts that came with the E13 aren’t you?

leeroybrown
    Free Member

I be converted mine to double I had to file the bash ring to make it fit the crank

Scapegoat

SLX triple with E13 bash on here.

You are using the bolts, washers and back nuts that came with the E13 aren’t you?
    There are the brass inserts in the ring itself, the bolts and nuts, but when screwed into each other there’s still 4mm of thread showing. This then means that there’s a gap and the fittings don’t pull the ring, spider and bash together. Should there be another spacer?

Scapegoat

Think I may have sussed this out.

The black nut (outer) is 10mm. That fits more or less flush in the Ring/spider/bash combo. The bolt that screws into it is 11mm long, and only screws in about 6 or 7 mm into the nut. A quick search suggests these are for a chain device setup, whereas the double/triple bolt combination is 10mm nut and 6mm bolt. That would make sense.
    Am I right?

singlespeedstu

Not sure of the length of the bolts in mine but I do know they screwed in all the way with the head flush against the backing nut.

If you’re still struggling i can drop one out and measure it for you tomorrow.

Scapegoat

That would be great Stu. I think the ones I want are the ones that I saw, and Charlie the bikemonger does some 13mm ones that look like they’ll fit……., but I don’t want to order something that won’t fit again!!!

singlespeedstu

The bolts on mine are around 13mm long.
    They screw all the way into the backing nuts though.
    The end of the bolt is almost out of the back side on the backing nut.
    Sounds like there’s something wrong with your backing nuts. The botls should screw all the way in.

st66

I have the same chainset and converted it to 2×9 using a bashguard from BBG

It’s the same width as the outer chainring you are replacing so fits perfectly with the original bolts.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Help! SLX Triple to double conversion’ is closed to new replies.